In a statement, Samsung said it was focused on replacing all affected devices "as quickly and efficiently" as possible and reiterated its request that customers affected by the current recall should power off their device and turn them in.
To the joy of Apple, which had been trying to peddle rival phone which was below the Note 7’s spec and lacked a headphone socket, Samsung recalled 2.5 million Note 7 smartphones in 10 markets due to faulty batteries causing some phones to melt.
The company says replacement devices it began issuing in mid-September use safe batteries.
Samsung hopes to take the faulty products off the market as soon as possible in order to limit further damage to its reputation and resume sales of the flagship device ahead of the key holiday shopping season in major markets such as the United States.
The Tame Apple Press has been wiping up some hysterical stories about exploding phones, nearly a third of which have been made up or fabricated. So far no phone has actually exploded, other than the fake case where a user put one in the oven to sue Samsung.
Samsung was forced to push back the start of Note 7 sales in South Korea by three days to 1 October 1 due to relatively slow progress in the recall in its home market.
Samsung said around 90 percent of customers who turned in their device through the exchange program have opted for a replacement Note 7, but it remains unclear how strong demand from new customers would be when sales resume.