Published in News

eBike explodes

by on20 March 2023


An Aussie was forced to jump out a window as flames tore through his house after an eBike exploded in the garage.

The fire, which broke out on Sunday in Sydney and fire investigators believe a faulty lithium-ion battery on the bike exploded, causing the fire, which has badly damaged the home and destroyed a car in the garage.

Firefighters removed several other lithium-ion batteries from the scene, amid concerns they had been compromised by fire and were at risk of igniting or exploding.

The e-bike battery was immersed in water by firefighters to prevent re-ignition. They remained at the scene overnight to monitor the situation.

FRNSW issued a statement warning that faulty or overcharged lithium-ion batteries pose a serious safety risk. They can explode, causing intense fires that are extremely difficult to extinguish and are at risk of reigniting.


Last modified on 20 March 2023
Rate this item
(0 votes)