Both chips use MediaTek’s Dimensity 9000 platform and package it into the new Dimensity 8000 series which is built on the ultra-efficient TSMC 5nm production process with an octa-core CPU.
The Dimensity 8100 integrates four premium Arm Cortex-A78 cores with speeds reaching 2.85GHz, with the wind behind it. The Dimensity 8000 has four Cortex-A78 cores operating at up to 2.75GHz.
MediaTek’s Wireless Communications Business Unit General Manager CH Chen said that the MediaTek Dimensity 8000 series is the little brother to our flagship Dimensity 9000 chip.
“It brings flagship grade features and next level energy efficiency to the premium smartphone market,” he said.
Both chips combine an Arm Mali-G610 MC6 GPU with MediaTek’s HyperEngine 5.0 gaming technologies for exceptional power-efficiency that extends play time, and best-in-class frame rates – 170fps for the Dimensity 8100 and 140fps for the Dimensity 8000. Quad-channel LPDDR5 memory and UFS 3.1 storage ensure ultra-fast data streams.
The Dimensity 8000 series uses MediaTek’s Open Resource Architecture to give device makers the flexibility to customise and differentiate features to spruce up 5G functions.
The Dimensity 8000 series integrates MediaTek’s fifth generation AI processing unit, APU 580. MediaTek claims it is the most power-efficient performance in its class. The balance of performance and efficiency optimises AI multimedia, gaming, camera and video experiences.
Powered by a five gigapixel per second image signal processor (ISP), the Dimensity 8000 series produces the fastest, clearest HDR photos and video in its class.
The features of the Dimensity 8000 series chips also include:
- Support for up to 200MP cameras and 4K60 HDR10+ videography.
- MediaTek’s latest noise reduction and AI-based unblur techniques in extreme low-light environments for crisp shots with enhanced details.
- Simultaneous dual camera HDR video recording. Users can record with the front and rear cameras or two different rear lenses – for example, wide + tele – at the same time.
- Leading 3GPP R16-ready 5G modem to boost sub-6GHz performance using 2CC Carrier Aggregation.
- MediaTek’s 5G UltraSave 2.0 power-saving enhancement suite for improved efficiency.
- Support for Wi-Fi 6E and Bluetooth 5.3 for seamless coexistence of Wi-Fi connectivity and Bluetooth peripherals.
MediaTek also added the 6nm Dimensity 1300 to its 5G family. The Dimensity 1300’s HDR-ISP supports up to 200MP, and integrates MediaTek’s HyperEngine 5.0 to offer an optimal balance between performance and power for better efficiency in gaming and daily use scenarios. It comes with new AI enhancements, improving night shot photography and HDR capabilities for great image clarity.
The Dimensity 1300 integrates an octa-core CPU with an ultra-core Arm Cortex-A78 clocked up to 3GHz, three Arm Cortex-A78 super cores and four Arm Cortex-A55 efficiency cores, along with an Arm Mali-G77 GPU and MediaTek APU 3.0 to support the latest AI capabilities.