Print this page
Published in News

Microsoft IIS usurped by Nginx

by on05 January 2012

Open Source upstart now number two

Open source outfit Nginx has knocked Microsoft IIS to the third spot to hold the title of second-most widely used Web server among all active websites.

Netcraft's January 2012 Web Server Survey, shows Nginx gained market share among all websites, at the expense of Apache, Microsoft, and Google each lost share. Nginx was created by Igor Syosev, along with Andrew Alexeev who co-founded the company last July.

The platform was designed for high-volume Web traffic, runs on a quarter of the world's 1,000 busiest websites, including Facebook, Zappos, Groupon, Hulu, Dropbox, and WordPress. Nginx received $3 million in funding from venture capital firms MSD Capital which is Michael Dell's private investment company. Nginx now runs on 12.18 percent of all active websites which is not to be sneezed at.

Microsoft IIS, by contrast, now runs on 12.14 percent of active websites, for a total of around 22.1 million. That represents a 0.17 percent drop compared to its December standing, when the platform powered 12.31 percent of active websites for a total of about 21.6 million.

Apache holds a healthy lead over all of them. It runs on 57.93 percent of all active websites for a total of around 105.7 million. It declined in overall share, down from 58.2 percent in December.

Rate this item
(0 votes)