Featured Articles

Analysts expect ARM to do well next year

Analysts expect ARM to do well next year

British chip designer ARM could cash in on the mobile industry's rush to transition to 64-bit operating systems and hardware.

More...
Huawei and Xiaomi outpace Lenovo, LG in smartphone market

Huawei and Xiaomi outpace Lenovo, LG in smartphone market

Samsung has lost smartphone market share, ending the quarter on a low note and Xiaomi appears to be the big winner.

More...
Intel Broadwell 15W coming to CES

Intel Broadwell 15W coming to CES

It looks like Intel will be showing off its 14nm processors, codenames Broadwell, in a couple of weeks at CES 2015.

More...
Gainward GTX 980 Phantom reviewed

Gainward GTX 980 Phantom reviewed

Today we’ll be taking a closer look at the recently introduced Gainward GTX 980 4GB with the company’s trademark Phantom cooler.

More...
Zotac ZBOX Sphere OI520 barebones vs Sphere Plus review

Zotac ZBOX Sphere OI520 barebones vs Sphere Plus review

Zotac has been in the nettop and mini-PC space for more than four years now and it has managed to carve…

More...
Frontpage Slideshow | Copyright © 2006-2010 orks, a business unit of Nuevvo Webware Ltd.
Wednesday, 02 September 2009 10:44

Aussie government sits on censorship trial results

Written by Nick Farell


Image

Embarrassment


The
Australian Government which thought it would save the world if it was allowed to censor the internet is sitting on the results of technology trials.

The trails were supposed to answer the question as to whether or not ISPs could censor the world wide wibble without the whole lot going tits up. Opposition politicians say that the report was written ages ago but the government is refusing to release it. Obviously it does not say what they want to hear, namely that effective censorship of the Internet using white and black lists is impossible.

The Opposition's communications spokesman, Nick Minchin, today called on the Communications Minister, Stephen Conroy, to "end this farce and produce his long overdue trial results for independent assessment". Live trials of the filtering policy, which is intended to block "prohibited content" for all Australians as determined by a secret Government blacklist, were initially slated to begin in December last year and take about six weeks. The publication was pushed back until July, then September and, today, the Government is still unable to put a date on when it will release the results to the great unwashed.

The plan is less popular than a tax on beer and sex in Australia. Some think that the government will use the report to quietly axe the plan. However it would mean breaking an election promise to wrap children and adults in bubble wrap so that they cannot be harmed by anything which could not be handled by a nun, retired colonel, fundamentalist Christian or looney.

It is not as if the Government didn't try to fix the test so that it could work. Only Eight small ISPs and one big one tested the software on a limited basis. How that would reflect into the real world where there are huge amounts of data involved, the government did not say. To make matters worse, the Government has said that it has no criteria to determine whether the trials of the scheme were a success.

Last year a report told the government that its filtering policy was fundamentally flawed. The government tried to sit on that report too, but it was leaked to the media.

Nick Farell

E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
blog comments powered by Disqus

 

Facebook activity

Latest Commented Articles

Recent Comments