Error
  • JUser::_load: Unable to load user with id: 67

Featured Articles

IHS teardown reveals Galaxy S5 BOM

IHS teardown reveals Galaxy S5 BOM

Research firm IHS got hold of Samsung’s new flagship smartphone and took it apart to the last bolt to figure out…

More...
Galaxy S5, HTC One M8 available selling well

Galaxy S5, HTC One M8 available selling well

Samsung’s Galaxy S5 has finally gone on sale and it can be yours for €699, which is quite a lot of…

More...
Intel lists Haswell refresh parts

Intel lists Haswell refresh parts

Intel has added a load of Haswell refresh parts to its official price list and there really aren’t any surprises to…

More...
Respawn confirms Titanfall DLC for May

Respawn confirms Titanfall DLC for May

During his appearance at PAX East panel and confirmed on Twitter, Titanfall developer Respawn confirmed that the first DLC pack for…

More...
KFA2 GTX 780 Ti Hall Of Fame reviewed

KFA2 GTX 780 Ti Hall Of Fame reviewed

KFA2 gained a lot of overclocking experience with the GTX 780 Hall of Fame (HOF), which we had a chance to…

More...
Frontpage Slideshow | Copyright © 2006-2010 orks, a business unit of Nuevvo Webware Ltd.
Friday, 06 May 2011 11:07

Nvidia regains discrete mobile GPU market share

Written by


Some good news for the green team
Nvidia has managed to regain some ground in the discrete mobile GPU market, according to the latest Mercury Research report.

In the desktop space, Nvidia dropped from a 61 percent share to 59.4 in the last quarter, while AMD managed to seize the 1.6 percent for a 40.6 percent share in Q1. A year ago Nvidia controlled 35 percent of the market, with the remaining 65 percent going to AMD.

The trend in notebook discrete graphics is a bit more positive, as Nvidia managed to increase its share from 38 percent to 42 percent sequentially. However, year-on-year Nvidia is still down, as it had a 50 percent share back in Q1 2010.

In combined desktop and notebook shipments, Nvidia still holds 51 percent of the market, with 49 percent going to AMD with next to no change over the past two quarters.

However, it is worth noting that Nvidia’s overall GPU market share has seen a drop thanks to the advent of Intel and AMD graphics enabled processors.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Comments  

 
-10 #1 darkpulse 2011-05-06 17:21
Obviously they are going to loose their market share. Who the hell wants a buggy hardware and OVEN in their PC? Not me though. They havent released a competitive series of cards for quite sometime now anyways.

And yes, atleast AMD fusion products are compact, VFM solutions for low end or HTPC rigs. Their graphic performance is quite good compared to their discrete counterparts, so people can save few bucks and some space in their PC's.
 
 
+14 #2 Haberlandt 2011-05-06 17:48
Quote:
A year ago Nvidia controlled 35 percent of the market, with the remaining 65 percent going to AMD.



Is this correct?
 
 
+2 #3 Twist3d1080 2011-05-06 23:29
I'm starting to believe that this market "research" is defined buy who wrote the biggest check to the researcher. Maybe JPR and Mercury have no [censored]ing real idea of whats going on and just guess. Both of their analyses are always on one end of the spectrum from each other.
 
 
+2 #4 Wiler33 2011-05-07 03:54
cheers for nvidia. . :-)
I've owned video cards from both AMD/ATI and Nvidia since then, all I can say from my experiences from this two is Nvidia has the best driver support not like AMD/ATI that gives me so many problems in many games specially the unreal engine ones but AMD/ATI has efficient GPU because of the lower power draw but still performing very well. . :D
 
 
+4 #5 techno 2011-05-07 06:22
Lol...well this is hardly surprising news as AMD is now producing Fusion products for this sector of the market which are integrated products and not discrete.

So the size of this discrete mobile market sector will have gone down but Nvidia will have a greater portion of it.....this is not good news for Nvidia its just that its main competitor is satisfying this section of the market with integrated rather than discrete products......but you've got to tip your hat at the authors attempts to interpret everything in a positive light for the green team.
 
 
0 #6 The_Countess 2011-05-07 13:11
Quoting techno:
So the size of this discrete mobile market sector will have gone down but Nvidia will have a greater portion of it


why? fusion products will replace both nvidia as wel as ATI (low end) discrete GPU's
the overall market gets smaller but i see no reason why nvidia should benefit from that in terms of market share.

the probable reason is more likely that they finally got their act together and release a more or less competitive product.
 
 
+1 #7 Bl0bb3r 2011-05-07 13:19
I think techno said that the discrete mobile market will be reduce to almost nothing and nvidia will own most of that almost nothing. Sort of... So... yeah, they can't benefit from owning almost nothing.
 
 
-5 #8 nECrO 2011-05-07 17:35
And more importantly, the mobile discreet market is tiny compared to embedded. It's the mobile embedded market where Intel, AMD and Nvidia make most of their money. Either way, none of this is a surprise. It was reported not long ago that Nvidia would start pricing their mobile parts at or near cost to retake market share. So, market share up, profits nowhere..
 
 
-3 #9 godrilla 2011-05-07 18:11
Fyi you can get a gtx 580 sc by evga @ newegg.com for $459 ( use promo code EMCKEKD45 )afetr MIR with free shipping. As well as the gtx 570 for $300. The prices have fell more than 13% on most gpus.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130590&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL050611&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL050611-_-EMC-050611-Index-_-DesktopGraphicsVideoCards-_-14130590-L05C
 
 
-4 #10 GuruOne 2011-05-08 00:49
NV better start realising their days are numbered :P

Of course, selling EXPENSIVE, OVERHEATING, NON-GREEN gfx cards since day 1 may have been a factor ;)

LONG LIVE AMD
 

To be able to post comments please log-in with Disqus

 

Facebook activity

Latest Commented Articles

Recent Comments