Published in Gaming

Samsung warns Galaxy S8 should not be a dog’s chew toy

by on26 April 2017

OK for babies though

Samsung is worried that people are going to feed their smartphone to their dog as a rather expensive chew-toy.

Those looking at tear-down videos, which we are forced to do when Dr Who is not on, have noticed that there is a peculiar icon on the Galaxy S8 battery that depicts a dog with a bar across it.

We would be the last to expect that a pooch would be able to use a Galaxy S8 as it lacks opposable thumbs so the warning seems a little odd. It does not have a cat, or budgie logo, so Samsung is not worried about fur or feathers getting into the workings.

The S8 battery is not removable for general consumers, but if you were to disassemble the phone, Samsung wants you to know that the battery should not be left around as chew toys for pets as batteries are toxic to them.

After all people often give batteries to their dogs to chew.

But Samsung wants us to know that an ingested battery can cause burns, irritation, loss of appetite, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and damage to the dog’s digestive tract.

However, we would have thought giving them to children would be just as hazardous and there is no baby crossed out on the battery. Previously, Samsung used a keep-away-from-baby label but seems to have abandoned it.

Samsung seems to think that a dog is more at risk because it is likely to chew first and cause the battery to swell and potentially burst into flames.


Last modified on 26 April 2017
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Read more about: