Featured Articles

Snapdragon 400 is Qualcomm’s SoC for watches, wearables

Snapdragon 400 is Qualcomm’s SoC for watches, wearables

We wanted to learn a bit more about Qualcomm's plans for wearables and it turns out that the company believes its…

More...
Qualcomm sampling 20nm Snapdragon 810

Qualcomm sampling 20nm Snapdragon 810

We had a chance to talk to Michelle Leyden-Li, Senior Director of Marketing, QCT at Qualcomm and get an update on…

More...
EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 reviewed

EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 reviewed

Nvidia has released two new graphics cards based on its latest Maxwell GPU architecture. The Geforce GTX 970 and Geforce GTX…

More...
Nvidia GTX 980 reviewed

Nvidia GTX 980 reviewed

Nvidia has released two new graphics cards based on its latest Maxwell GPU architecture. The Geforce GTX 970 and Geforce GTX…

More...
PowerColor TurboDuo R9 285 reviewed

PowerColor TurboDuo R9 285 reviewed

Today we will take a look at the PowerColor TurboDuo Radeon R9 285. The card is based on AMD’s new…

More...
Frontpage Slideshow | Copyright © 2006-2010 orks, a business unit of Nuevvo Webware Ltd.
Monday, 17 May 2010 11:59

Apple leaned on the coppers to raid Gizmodo

Written by Nick Farell

Image

Fear the fruit


It looks
like it was Apple that twisted the arms of coppers to get the house of Gizmodo editor raided. According to documents that were unsealed over the weekend, Apple attorney George Riley told detectives that the publication of evidence of the device by Gizmodo was immensely damaging.

He said that people that would have otherwise purchased a currently existing Apple product would wait for the next item to be released, thereby hurting overall sales and negatively effecting Apple's earnings.

However since the article had been published, it was not going to resolve the situation by arresting anyone. At that point it had the iPhone prototype back, although Gizmodo might have made a bit of legal mistake of asking Apple to prove that it was its prototype before handing it over.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs personally contacted Gizmodo editor Brian Lam to request the 4G phone's return on April 19, the day the story was published, but Lam refused to do so, unless the company provided "confirmation that it is real, from Apple, officially.”

It is clear from the documents that pressure was coming from Apple to do a raid and its laywers were screaming that a “crime” had been committed. In fact it seems more that Apple wanted to send a message to the tame IT press that it had to tow the line or it would use its influence.

It will be interesting to see if a higher court over turns the search warrant as illegal.


Nick Farell

E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
blog comments powered by Disqus

 

Facebook activity

Latest Commented Articles

Recent Comments