Featured Articles

Nvidia officially launches the 8-inch Shield Tablet

Nvidia officially launches the 8-inch Shield Tablet

As expected and reported earlier, Nvidia has now officially announced its newest Shield device, the new 8-inch Shield Tablet. While the…

More...
Intel launches new mobile Haswell and Bay Trail parts

Intel launches new mobile Haswell and Bay Trail parts

Intel has introduced seven new Haswell mobile parts and four Bay Trail SoC chips, but most of them are merely clock…

More...
Aerocool Dead Silence reviewed

Aerocool Dead Silence reviewed

Aerocool is well known for its gamer cases with aggressive styling. However, the Dead Silence chassis offers consumers a new choice,…

More...
AMD SVP John Byrne named turnaround exec of the year

AMD SVP John Byrne named turnaround exec of the year

Director of AMD’s PR Chris Hook has tweeted and confirmed later in a conversation with Fudzilla that John Byrne, Senior Vice…

More...
AMD A8-7600 Kaveri APU reviewed

AMD A8-7600 Kaveri APU reviewed

Today we'll take a closer look at AMD's A8-7600 APU Kaveri APU, more specifically we'll examine the GPU performance you can…

More...
Frontpage Slideshow | Copyright © 2006-2010 orks, a business unit of Nuevvo Webware Ltd.
Monday, 13 May 2013 11:11

Aussie university gets hacker reputation

Written by Nick Farrell



Something in the water

The University of NSW is gaining a reputation for excelling in training hackers. The university which just won the 2013 Cyber Security Challenge which involved competing in a non-stop 24-hour "capture the flag" contest, where they test the security of a fictitious company's IT systems, aiming to get the most points.

UNSW entered three groups of four students in the challenge, placing first, second and third. The winning group also won last year. Some members of the winning team have also come first in other Australian security challenges, such as the Ruxcon capture the flag contest held in Melbourne. The key appears to be Fionnbharr Davies who is the IT security lecturer and mentor to the UNSW students. Unlike many lecturers he works full-time at Azimuth Security, Davies co-lectures part-time alongside Brendan Hopper, 28, who works at the Commonwealth Bank as a penetration tester.

Many of their students have gone on to work at large security companies such as Stratsec and Securus Global, while some pupils are doing internships at the likes of Google. Although working in the security industry pays more than lecturing, Davies said he lectures because it is fun and his courses are different and practical. As a result a lot of people then immediately drop out of the course after the first or second week when they realise it's going to be a ton of work. Davies told the Aussie press he was shocked when he saw the way students at other universities were taught IT security.

They're all taught by these academics who have never hacked a thing in their life. The students are good, it's just the teachers who are pants, he said. More than 60 per cent of his course focused on projects, while the other 40 per cent was based on a "war game" challenge like the one held by Telstra and government agencies.

Students write rootkits, for Mac OS X, Android and Linux. Students can do them because they're intelligent and motivated. He said that to defend against hackers, you need to think like one, and go on the "offensive" rather than "defensive".

More here

Nick Farrell

E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
blog comments powered by Disqus

 

Facebook activity

Latest Commented Articles

Recent Comments