Featured Articles

Analysts expect ARM to do well next year

Analysts expect ARM to do well next year

British chip designer ARM could cash in on the mobile industry's rush to transition to 64-bit operating systems and hardware.

More...
Huawei and Xiaomi outpace Lenovo, LG in smartphone market

Huawei and Xiaomi outpace Lenovo, LG in smartphone market

Samsung has lost smartphone market share, ending the quarter on a low note and Xiaomi appears to be the big winner.

More...
Intel Broadwell 15W coming to CES

Intel Broadwell 15W coming to CES

It looks like Intel will be showing off its 14nm processors, codenames Broadwell, in a couple of weeks at CES 2015.

More...
Gainward GTX 980 Phantom reviewed

Gainward GTX 980 Phantom reviewed

Today we’ll be taking a closer look at the recently introduced Gainward GTX 980 4GB with the company’s trademark Phantom cooler.

More...
Zotac ZBOX Sphere OI520 barebones vs Sphere Plus review

Zotac ZBOX Sphere OI520 barebones vs Sphere Plus review

Zotac has been in the nettop and mini-PC space for more than four years now and it has managed to carve…

More...
Frontpage Slideshow | Copyright © 2006-2010 orks, a business unit of Nuevvo Webware Ltd.
Thursday, 14 June 2012 09:51

IT Crowd will nick data if fired

Written by Nick Farrell

Just so you know

ID management provider Cyber-Ark has just released a survey which indicates that it might not be a good idea to fire your IT staff.

The sixth annual global "Trust, Security and Passwords Survey" indicates that the IT Crowd will exit the building with as much corporate data they can get their paws on if they are fired. The report said that just under half of 820 respondents admitted if they were fired tomorrow, they'd walk out with proprietary data such as privileged password lists, company databases, R&D plans and financial reports.

To be fair Cyber Ark's products are designed to stop this sort of thing, so it has a vested interest in making the problem appear worse than it is. But that figure is still pretty large. Since 71 percent believe the insider threat is the priority security concern and poses the most significant business risk with privileged accounts being a major problem.

What is strange however is that the report said that only 57 percent monitor the use of such accounts and the other 43 percent weren't sure or knew they didn't. Those that monitored accounts said that they could get around any controls. This is because privileged accounts are often protected by weak or default passwords, which are seldom replaced.

"Businesses that are not securing and managing these high-value targets are failing to uphold their responsibility for securing customer and similar sensitive information," the report said.

The report said that 45 percent of staff said they have access to information on a system that is not relevant to their role. Another 42 percent said that they or a colleague have used admin passwords to access information that was otherwise confidential. More than 55 percent believe competitors have received their company’s highly sensitive information or intellectual property. Another 42 percent of respondents said they have used their administrator passwords to access confidential information.

Nick Farrell

E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
blog comments powered by Disqus

 

Facebook activity

Latest Commented Articles

Recent Comments