Featured Articles

TSMC: Volume production of 16nm FinFET in 2H 2015

TSMC: Volume production of 16nm FinFET in 2H 2015

TSMC has announced that it will begin volume production of 16nm FinFET products in the second half of 2015, in late…

More...
AMD misses earnings targets, announces layoffs

AMD misses earnings targets, announces layoffs

AMD has missed earnings targets and is planning a substantial job cuts. The company reported quarterly earnings yesterday and the street is…

More...
Did Google botch the Nexus 6 and Nexus 9?

Did Google botch the Nexus 6 and Nexus 9?

As expected, Google has finally released the eagerly awaited Nexus 6 phablet and its first 64-bit device, the Nexus 9 tablet.

More...
Gainward GTX 970 Phantom previewed

Gainward GTX 970 Phantom previewed

Nvidia has released two new graphics cards based on its latest Maxwell GPU architecture. The Geforce GTX 970 and Geforce GTX…

More...
EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 reviewed

EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 reviewed

Nvidia has released two new graphics cards based on its latest Maxwell GPU architecture. The Geforce GTX 970 and Geforce GTX…

More...
Frontpage Slideshow | Copyright © 2006-2010 orks, a business unit of Nuevvo Webware Ltd.
Friday, 11 December 2009 12:50

Nvidia has 80 percent of Calpella discrete market

Written by Fuad Abazovic


Image

The rest is ATI 


Since Intel doesn’t have any discrete chips for notebooks or desktops and since it postponed Larrabee GPU experiment, if you want something better than Intel’s GMA (Graphics Media Accelerator) IGP, you are stuck with Nvidia or ATI.

With the next generation Calpella 32 / 45nm powered platform that comes with either Lynnfield 45nm quad core or dual 32nm Arrandale core, Nvidia might have the winning hand.

ATI got most of Montevina refresh designs this summer, and as of this winter, Nvidia will get in much more notebooks with its discrete mobile chips. Our sources are claiming Nvidia will end up with close to 80 percent of the Calpella discreet market, leaving some 20 percent to ATI. Nvidia’s summer announcement of 40nm graphics chips was good aligned with postponement of Calpella platform and this is one of the big reasons why Nvidia got most of the designs. The timing was right.

ATI has three new DirectX 11 notebook GPUs that are aligned for January launch, but this was simply too late for many Calpella designs that are finished months ago.

Again, with Calpella refresh both companies might have an equal chance as by that time, all should have DirectX 11 notebook hardware.

Last modified on Friday, 11 December 2009 12:58
blog comments powered by Disqus

 

Facebook activity

Latest Commented Articles

Recent Comments