Fudzilla
April 17, 2014, 05:01:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fudzilla Forum is open

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 64 bits Windows OS (The future) ?  (Read 11401 times)
viperiii

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2007, 04:47:02 PM »

Windows VISTA basically got 2 major platform:
1. 32 bits Windows VISTA (x86)
2. 64 bits Windows VISTA (x64)

As the 64bits software under Windows VISTA environment is not yet popularized, I am wondering when the industry will widely developing 64bits software, and when the 64 bits Windows been popularized?

64 bits OS environment offer better security as compared to traditional 32 OS environment, but the problems are:
1. For gamers, still stay on the current Windows XP SP2 for widely game compatibilities.
2. For old office, still stay on Windows XP SP2, for support for the old accessories (scanners, printer, and other add-on peripherals)

For new system installer, i would recommend the Windows VISTA, because of the technology is keep on staying ahead.

The road to 64 bits is tough, Microsoft is implementing the close source Windows OS development, which is contraly to LINUX open source software development, hence restricting the development of the software under 64bits environment.

visit: www.start64.com
fudo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 07:23:20 AM »

once you go for more than 2 GB of memory you will have to use Vista 64 as the other OS's wont address it. Microsoft already dropped the 64 bit XP.
roosterbaby!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 03:45:37 AM »

It would be nice if 64bit computing took over, but look how long it took 32bit to convert from 16. I don't think we will see 64bit mainstream for quite some time, maybe another 5 yrs or so.
Jon
Global Moderator

swallow your pride.

audiofreak39@gmail.com AuDioFreaK39
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 10:29:15 PM »

I think the major switch to x64 operating systems for the mass consumer market will be seen when Windows 7 is released.  Microsoft will probably have one reason or another to believe that the majority of consumer CPUs and chipsets on the market by that time (early 2010?) will have native support for x64 operating systems and will likewise issue Windows 7 in a 64-bit only format.  After all, with most new technologies, the boys over at Micro$oft have switched us over to their new OS every time a much anticipated change in hardware takes place (DirectX 10 - switch to Vista,  Native 64-bit - switch to Windows 7?)

Core i7 Extreme 965 {} EVGA X58 SLI Classified Limited Edition{} 6GB Mushkin XP Series DDR3 1600MHz 7-8-7-20 {} EVGA GeForce GTX 295 Plus [Quad-SLI] {} Thermalright TRUE Copper
Bono
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 10:56:12 PM »

Well 32bit windows would be enough for most people if Microsoft fixed 4gb issue. 32bit Os is capable to address up to 64GB of memory but max memory per allocation is 4gb. In linux that is solved with highmem option but it windows it just doesn't work like it supposed to. Vista x64 works fine but lack of drivers is the reason why people are not migrating to XP or Vista.

So I can agree with AuDioFreaK39 until in this case 32bit version of windows exist companies will mainly focus on 32bit drivers and they will neglect x64.
Jon
Global Moderator

swallow your pride.

audiofreak39@gmail.com AuDioFreaK39
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 11:10:54 PM »

Well 32bit windows would be enough for most people if Microsoft fixed 4gb issue. 32bit Os is capable to address up to 64GB of memory but max memory per allocation is 4gb. In linux that is solved with highmem option but it windows it just doesn't work like it supposed to. Vista x64 works fine but lack of drivers is the reason why people are not migrating to XP or Vista.

So I can agree with AuDioFreaK39 until in this case 32bit version of windows exist companies will mainly focus on 32bit drivers and they will neglect x64.

Interesing - and how might an x86 OS be capable of addressing up to 64GB of memory?  I've never heard this before.

Core i7 Extreme 965 {} EVGA X58 SLI Classified Limited Edition{} 6GB Mushkin XP Series DDR3 1600MHz 7-8-7-20 {} EVGA GeForce GTX 295 Plus [Quad-SLI] {} Thermalright TRUE Copper
Bono
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 11:17:44 PM »

Interesing - and how might an x86 OS be capable of addressing up to 64GB of memory?  I've never heard this before.
On linux u can enable in kernel two options, if i remember correctly by default linux sees only 1GB or 2GB:

HIGHMEM solution for using up to 4 GB of memory
HIGHMEM solution for using up to 64 GB of memory

HIGHMEM solution for using 64 GB of memory

This is enabled via the PAE (Physical Address Extension) extension of the PentiumPro processors. PAE addresses the 4 GB physical memory limitation and is seen as Intel's answer to AMD 64-bit and AMD x86-64. PAE allows processors to access physical memory up to 64 GB (36 bits of address bus). However, since the virtual address space is just 32 bits wide, each process can't grow beyond 4 GB. The mechanism used to access memory from 4 GB to 64 GB is essentially the same as that of accessing the 1 GB - 4 GB RAM.

Ignore that part about AMD 64-bit and Pentium PRO. Anyway there are ways to fix it, and until Vista came out we were stuck with Windows XP x64 which wasn't even supported by MS and most companies didn't released drivers.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 11:19:26 PM by Bono » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: