Fudzilla
April 20, 2014, 08:44:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fudzilla Forum is open

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: R600 (x2900) to launch with a broad range of cards  (Read 15527 times)
motiv
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« on: March 01, 2007, 09:29:19 PM »

well according to AMD it is

Wednesday's meeting was also used to clear up what Richard characterized as a swath of misconceptions and rumors concerning the delayed R600 —or, what is to be AMD/ATI's first DirectX 10-capable graphics card.

"We pushed out the launch of the R600 and people thought is must be a silicon or software problem…it's got to be a bug," said Dave Orton, president and chief executiveof ATI. "In fact, our mainstream chips are in 65nm and are coming out extremely fast. Because of that configuration, we have an interesting opportunity to come to market with a broader range of products," he explained.

"Instead of having them separate, we thought, lets line that up, so we delayed for several weeks," Orton continued, referring to the R600 family as a whole, which AMD now says will come out at the same time (a matter of weeks as opposed to months, according to Richard) instead of just the high-end version.

The R600 will be called Radeon x2900 and will be available in XTX (top of the line), XT, and XL variants.

No firm date was ever given for the R600, but last week AMD did admit that the card had been delayed, giving no other reason than to say that the company was "repositioning the card."

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2099613,00.asp Some Barcelona info too
ThePate

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 09:38:59 PM »

Hmm, sounds interesting.

In mu opinion, this kind of a release could actually be good, since it will probably smack the prices of all the current cards more than it would if the cards were released seperately. Or then not. Well, we will see. Smiley
motiv
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 09:40:37 PM »

aye, it's a bit of an unknown quantity. In an interview today ATI also said the R600 will have (along with the new boards) a very good overclocking ability. This also include the K10.

Is it still cold bugged? Hard to say with that response but it's encouraging they are thinking of the enthusiast market.
ThePate

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 09:54:20 PM »

Yeah. Well, I am kinda curious to see how it runs against 8800's, or 8900's. Wink Hopefully we will se very tight fighting for the golden 3DMark-crown. Smiley
fudo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 11:59:47 PM »

dont tell anyone I told you but it is a driver issue Smiley will write about it in the morning
flippin_waffles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 11:46:18 PM »

Excellent! Hope you all don't get in trouble for writing about it though. I bet it's sanctioned by AMD though, so looking forward to reading it!
digitalwanderer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 01:19:09 AM »

dont tell anyone I told you but it is a driver issue Smiley will write about it in the morning
Looking forward to it, I'm still f-ing clueless about what is going on with the R600.

Elite Bastards - Colour Commentator/Admin
fudo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »

GDDR 4 had some problems and got delayed and GDDR3 one wont be fast enough, and there is a driver issue as well. No problems my butt Smiley who cancles 200+ journalists event without a massive reason. stay tuned will write about it soon enough. We also have some exclusive OCZ memory to tell you about.
digitalwanderer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 08:11:13 PM »

So the A13 spin is good?  You're hearing it's memory and drivers?

Elite Bastards - Colour Commentator/Admin
lacca

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 06:08:16 PM »

Can't wait the story  Shocked
fudo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 09:10:13 AM »

very true A13 silicon is good but the driver was bad and the performance
roosterbaby!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 06:43:31 PM »

Is it just me or does anyone else just loose it when they read the Level 505 web site. That has got to be the worst viral marketing I've ever seen Cheesy
flippin_waffles

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 10:11:10 PM »

Something doesn't add up. The way AMD talks, this is a sort of superchip. I have a feeling that what is going to make these chips stand out from the rest, is something to do with the sound capabilities. There has been mention of something along these lines before, and I kinda feel the best is yet to be revealed. I don't think it's all about performance and IQ alone.
R600King!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 07:57:37 AM »

My first post on the 'ol FudZ.  Yes, I am the R300King! at Beyond3D and Rage3D but now I'm R600King!  I thought it appropriate don't ya think?  ;-)

Anyway, I hear talk of the R600 only barely keeping up with the 8800GTX so they're increasing the speed to counter this.  I don't really know if this is true.  I mean how much more speed could they increase it without pushing it to the absolute limit?  And even if they did there would be no room for overclocking much if at all. 

I hope there is another explaination.  Hopefully they moved straight onto the R680 and/or moved to the 65nm processes.  This would make more sense.  And they need all this extra time to pump out wafers.  They did say the 65nm parts are coming out great.  Maybe/hopefully the R600 or the R680 is in with this group.  Probably not, but it would be worth the wait if that was true.

Damn, now I have to change my name to R680King!.  Undecided

Gman
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 05:30:00 PM »

haha welcome R680KING Smiley

yeah I hope they have an ace or two up their sleeves. not sure what is going on there to be honest.
maybe 'olFudo knows something.

fudo wake up!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: