Fudzilla
April 16, 2014, 07:07:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fudzilla Forum is open

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Tablet PC revolution?  (Read 3256 times)
Gabrihel

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2010, 04:34:48 PM »

Hi all, i am long time reader of fudzilla Grin , and i decided to sign to the forums now. I did because i am REALLY interested in what i think is a major event in the quite short pc history.
The first signs of touchscreen tablet PC.
Do not get me wrong i love my big bad pc, with 4870x2 vga and intel quad core, ventilation, heat management and full tower case.
But these devices seems magic.... Shocked
Still i have to understand exactly WHAT a tablet PC can DO.  Huh
Can someone help me?
This i a list of functions i would like to see on a tablet:

1 Capacitive multi-touch (fundamental)
2 text writing (like Word)
3 text reading (like Loquendo) useful for mail and sms!
4 Mp3 player (and all kind of music formats)
5 HD video player (and all kind of video formats)
6 Radio (i want to listen music!)
7 Digital TV ( i want to watch TV programs!)
8 Web navigation, mail and all that comes with internet
9 Wi-Fi standard N
10 Bluethoot (not fundamental but nice)
11 Gps, accelerometer and all that kind of stuff
12 Navigator (like google nav)
13 Speech recognition (also to write text and 2 millions functions more, like navigante all menus and application via voice)
14 Some games, yes Tegra 2 may help (but games are just a plus here)
15 Hard disk space, don't know exactly how much... (to save video, documents, pictures, and download APPLICATIONS i like, in quantity and freedom)
16 A photo camera like that on smartphone out now ( again, not fundamental, but nice)
17 Mobile Phone!! to call friends, use on job, and with skype too

THIS WOULD BE A TRUE ALL IN ONE DEVICE

Are all this possible? Only some of them? Some function does not allow another to be present at the same time?
Just think what will happen with a portable device like this!
Just to make an example..
use this with a Car Docking station!

Am i dreaming? Huh Too much, too soon? Cry Or this is possible? Cheesy Or this is coming? Grin Grin
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 08:38:07 PM by Gabrihel » Logged
rambaldi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 12:47:15 AM »

A lot of those features are already present in current day tablets, at least the ones that use x86 cores. The ones that aren't there you are probably going to start seeing in the current generation. With things like netbooks with build in mobile connections I am sure this is going to propagate to tablets as well if it hasn't already.

One problem you will face though is many of the programs that you mention there are currently windows/x86 only so won't work on a Tegra device but this should change.

Another is your storage space requirement, I don't think the Tegra generation is going to have as much as anyone wants, you will be paying a premium for it for certain.

Phenom II x4 965 (c3), MSI 790FX GD70, MSI HD5970, 2x2GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1333 CL7,  4x1TB Seagate 7200.12, Ikonic RaX10 Liquid, Silverstone ST1500
Gabrihel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 01:13:51 AM »

I was looking nokia n900, but has not the capacitive multi touch and i get no info on radio and Tv..... very nice tool.
Tegra is not meant to be a graphic processor for smartphones and netbooks?
rambaldi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 01:59:21 AM »

I was looking nokia n900, but has not the capacitive multi touch and i get no info on radio and Tv..... very nice tool.
Tegra is not meant to be a graphic processor for smartphones and netbooks?

Tegra has an ARM core (or 2 I think) as well as the graphics processor bits so it is basically meant to be everything for the smartphones and slates with maybe an appearance in netbooks (although would actually be smartbooks or what ever they are called because it isn't an x86 core)

Phenom II x4 965 (c3), MSI 790FX GD70, MSI HD5970, 2x2GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1333 CL7,  4x1TB Seagate 7200.12, Ikonic RaX10 Liquid, Silverstone ST1500
Gabrihel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 11:49:08 AM »

I just read the article about "Tablets will sell like hotcakes"  http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/17320/1/ , and i think that part of that prediction will be true.
I cannot say how big that market will be, or what will happen in comparison with netbook and smartphones, but i see a great future for touchscreen tablet PC, apple or not.
If these devices deliver a complete and portable experience, if they mass all functions, if the look cool, they will surely have their place.
In particular a strong integration (also phisical!) with smartphones may prove really interesting. Let me simply insert my phone in my tablet.
I can even think a concept design for this.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 03:33:00 PM by Gabrihel » Logged
Gabrihel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 03:09:24 PM »

Nice Ipad, but this is not yet the thing. Why 4:3 screen? Where is Tv, radio, and camera for skype? Why so much money for the 64 Gb?
Why borders so big?
rambaldi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 09:50:47 PM »

Nice Ipad, but this is not yet the thing. Why 4:3 screen? Where is Tv, radio, and camera for skype? Why so much money for the 64 Gb?
Why borders so big?

Because like everything from apple you pay for a lot more than you get. I mean honestly, no multi-tasking? I can see them putting in a lot of marketing effort and then people will hopefully go to the contenders version because they are so obviously superior

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: