Fudzilla
April 17, 2014, 06:32:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fudzilla Forum is open

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrabee goes down  (Read 7453 times)
rambaldi

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2009, 03:24:25 AM »

I am sure a few of us expected this to happen:
http://venturebeat.com/2009/12/04/intel-cancels-larrabee-consumer-graphics-chip/
http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/12/04/intel-kills-consumer-larrabee-focuses-future-variants/

Looks as if it isn't going to be that break through consumer graphics card originally expected, instead it will be only used in high performance computing similar to the 48 core cloud focused chip mentioned in other threads (possibly they are even the same thing?).

Phenom II x4 965 (c3), MSI 790FX GD70, MSI HD5970, 2x2GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1333 CL7,  4x1TB Seagate 7200.12, Ikonic RaX10 Liquid, Silverstone ST1500
y eye

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 08:16:50 AM »

December 4, 2009
"Intel: Initial Larrabee graphics chip canceled December 4, 2009
Intel said Friday that its Larrabee graphics processor will initially appear as a software development platform only.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10409715-64.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea.0 "

November 24, 2009
"Intel, which is already on the record saying that the Pine Trail Atom is shipping this quarter, has made integration one its biggest themes in 2010 and beyond. Its Arrandale Core i series of processors for mainstream laptops, due by early next year, will also combine the graphics chip (GPU) with the CPU. And future generations of the Atom processor will be even more highly integrated."
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10403768-64.html?tag=mncol;txt

September 13, 2009
"True to its rich heritage of codenames, IDF can, at times, slide into little more than a series of codename-riddled Power Point slides,
with some names sounding frustratingly familiar such as Clarksfield and Clarkdale. But codenames, for better or worse, are part and parcel of IDF.

Intel codename decoder:
Clarksfield: 45-nanometer Nehalem mobile processor integrating I/O
Clarkdale: 32-nanometer Nehalem desktop chip integrating graphics with CPU
Arrandale: 32-nanometer Nehalem mobile chip integrating graphics with CPU
Moorestown: 32-nanometer system-on-chip Atom for smartphones
Sodaville: 32-nanometer system-on-chip Atom for consumer
Pine Trail: new Atom for Netbooks integrating graphics with CPU
Jasper Forest: 45-nanometer, first Nehalem embedded chip for uses such as storage hardware
Larrabee: Intel discrete graphics chip that will compete with Nvidia, AMD
Westmere: 32-nanometer manufacturing process technology "

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10351519-64.html?tag=mncol;txt
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 08:19:51 AM by y eye » Logged

hark

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 07:53:48 PM »

I wonder what is going to happen with Project Offset. I remember Intel bought the development team and were probably going to use it to show off Larrabee in gaming.
y eye

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 10:59:31 PM »

http://www.projectoffset.com/ 

« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 07:46:30 PM by y eye » Logged

hark

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 12:25:48 AM »

I don't have an account there so I can't read the replies in that topic.
y eye

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 12:40:09 AM »

I don't have an account there so I can't read the replies in that topic.

Sign-in, register, it is painless... http://www.projectoffset.com/

meet the team: http://www.projectoffset.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=86&Itemid=25

« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 07:23:07 AM by y eye » Logged

hark

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 06:37:21 AM »

I would register, but I'm not sure if I'd even be active there. The game seems to be in limbo, especially now that a consumer version of Larrabee is off by at least a year or two. I like the meet the team picture, though. Who is the guy in the ceiling? Cheesy
y eye

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 01:34:00 AM »

I would register, but I'm not sure if I'd even be active there. The game seems to be in limbo, especially now that a consumer version of Larrabee is off by at least a year or two. I like the meet the team picture, though. Who is the guy in the ceiling? Cheesy

yeah... huuh. might be fun experience to watch a new game developed in parallel software...Huh and at the same time be a Zillaspie onTO LRB...wa ?

rambaldi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 11:58:54 PM »

They are hiring a few so maybe it is going ahead...

Phenom II x4 965 (c3), MSI 790FX GD70, MSI HD5970, 2x2GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1333 CL7,  4x1TB Seagate 7200.12, Ikonic RaX10 Liquid, Silverstone ST1500
y eye

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 04:37:27 AM »

PC Watch

The second-generation Larrabee 2 are still loose ends remain
Intel Meniikoa oriented data parallel CPU "Larrabee (Larrabee)," The situation has been partially visible.

The original plan, as Disukuritochippu Larrabee had been planned as follows.

2010 Larrabee as a product shipped, and then about one year or one new chips took to go a little span of years. Larrabee rapid-fire improvement by enhancing the completeness of a product, promote the support of the application. Larrabee 1 bound to evolve from 2,3,4, and 2014 CPU cores Larrabee incorporate into the mainstream.

Currently, about Larrabee 1 of this plan, and has canceled a shipment of graphics products. However, the next refrain Larrabee 2 about whether to cancel, that no final decision has been made. In some cases, Larrabee 2 of products from may not unusual. If so, Larrabee in 2011 will be the year appear in the graphics market.

However, Larrabee 3 from the product to be the case, you will be launched in the market from around the year 2012. Coupling the CPU and main stream "Haswell (Haswell)" seems to be architecture. In addition, Intel's Larrabee a CPU 2014 which was the main stream is said to integrate.

Larrabee instruction set is compatible with the non-generational, Larrabee 2 get a new instruction set. So, Larrabee 2 that there is also viable plan from the start. However, Intel Larrabee 1 reason to stop the commercialization of the year-end 2010 GPU because it was difficult to counter. So, Larrabee 2 in 2011 to determine if the GPU can not compete with, Larrabee 2 is likely to be abandoned and commercialization.

Intel Meniikoa oriented data parallel CPU "Larrabee (Larrabee)," The situation has been partially visible.

2010 Larrabee as a product shipped, and then about one year or one new chips took to go a little span of years. Larrabee rapid-fire improvement by enhancing the completeness of a product, promote the support of the application. Larrabee 1 bound to evolve from 2,3,4, and 2014 CPU cores Larrabee incorporate into the mainstream.

Currently, about Larrabee 1 of this plan, and has canceled a shipment of graphics products. However, the next refrain Larrabee 2 about whether to cancel, that no final decision has been made. In some cases, Larrabee 2 of products from may not unusual. If so, Larrabee in 2011 will be the year appear in the graphics market.

However, Larrabee 3 from the product to be the case, you will be launched in the market from around the year 2012. Coupling the CPU and main stream "Haswell (Haswell)" seems to be architecture. In addition, Intel's Larrabee a CPU 2014 which was the main stream is said to integrate.

Larrabee instruction set is compatible with the non-generational, Larrabee 2 get a new instruction set. So, Larrabee 2 that there is also viable plan from the start. However, Intel Larrabee 1 reason to stop the commercialization of the year-end 2010 GPU because it was difficult to counter. So, Larrabee 2 in 2011 to determine if the GPU can not compete with, Larrabee 2 is likely to be abandoned and commercialization.

Hiroshige's link is broken so til it is back on...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: