Fudzilla
April 16, 2014, 01:11:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fudzilla Forum is open

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which distro?  (Read 11037 times)
roosterbaby!

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2007, 08:28:34 PM »

I've used Suse, RedHat, Xandros and that odd ISO version, but it always comes down to drivers; and it's always the same graphics,raid,nic. I would like to try another flavor of linux...any recomendations? This is my hardware I use so if anyone knows of any incompatibilities, let me know would ya.
P5N32 SLI SE Deluxe, 6800C2D,7900GTO,Xfi Fatality,2 74gigraptors,1 Seagate 250,Merc keyboard and a couple of hamsters just for good measure Cheesy
motiv
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 01:31:00 AM »

try ubuntu.

Its not as slick in certain points as other distro but driver wise i has never let me down.

It also is possibly the only distro that will get you some of the newer hardware to run well.
motiv
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 01:31:58 AM »

http://www.ubuntu.com/

that's the url btw Smiley

(trust me, you wont regret it as a linux distro)
roosterbaby!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 09:07:29 PM »

I knew someone would point to Ubuntu. I've seen Patrick talk about this in DLTV ( god I miss TechTv Cry). Looks don't matter to me,It's what's inside that counts Cheesy. I do believe Pat and Rob had trouble with the Nvidia drivers with Unbuntu, but it was Nv's fault I believe, nothing to do with Unbuntu. I'll give it a try and see if it likes my hamsters Grin
Possible Impact

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 07:21:11 AM »

Puppy Linux

http://www.puppyos.com/

Good site for Linux and Games:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=home
roosterbaby!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 05:47:11 AM »

Thanks guys/gals. I heard allot about Ubuntu, but Puppy Linux..that's great. I've never seen a Linux site with How-to videos before, awesome.The other Linux vendors should take note of this.
lacca

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 06:05:32 PM »

This Puppy Linux is really funny.
I would suggest Ubuntu or Debian, although the learning curve is steeper.
I've heard nice things about Gentoo, although I've never tried it myself...
manwe

siavash.sameni
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 03:02:32 PM »

if you're still a newbie in linux i suggest you the ubuntu like others I can also suggest you to go for Linux One , Mandriva Linux One i mean .
the point is that it contains some sort of non-free content as well just like propriety Graphics drivers(ATI and NVIDIA) as well as MP3 codecs and Xine Engine.
i personally tried most of distro's RHEL , CentOS , Fedora ,Ubuntu , Debian , Parsix , Suse , Mandriva , Gentoo ....
but the one that i came back for were those based on precious Debian .
I'm currently using Debian since the new year i mean Smiley . before that i was just using Ubuntu Server from 6.10 .
the point is i found Debian more stable as well as faster . so i suggest you to try Debian you can find out more about it on
http://www.Debian.org/
another goood thing about Debian is that , it releases in 3 DVDs so these discs could be used as great repos  Smiley
juxmw

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 09:24:31 AM »

for newbies i thing SuSE and Mandriva should be one of the best ... (k)ubuntu is also nice but due to lack of some administration tools you definitly have to learn a lot (?) of things concerning the shell, drivers, ... before you can adjust the system to your needs. It may also depend on the desktop environment you use (-> KDE or GNOME ... it's like 'modern coltish' vs. 'minimal easy to use')

Juergen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: