Fudzilla
April 18, 2014, 10:36:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fudzilla Forum is open

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ultra Durable WHAT??!!?!?!?  (Read 2391 times)
Mario.

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2008, 10:03:28 AM »

It is hard to express on how many levels we have been ripped off.
I mean, WHICH CRETIN allowed power plane on 35-micrometer copper? I can't believe the level of idiocy involved. Ane yes, we are talking about some 50-100A on 35-micrometer copper planes!
Now, Gigabyte started making mainboards with standard 70-micrometers thick copper plating for the power plane (which is still no miracle by any means, especially for currents of about 100 amperes!

the "2oz" flinstone unit means actually "2oz of copper per one square foot". This translates to copper layer thickness of 70 micrometers.
more at the Gigabyte website:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/WebPage/mb_080924_ud3/data/tech_080924_ud3_ultra-cool.htm

In other words: the new design is slightly less underdimensioned than the old one, also, use of the new leadless chip scale sized SMD transistors shoul be mandantory as the ones available allow for 2-5 Megahertz switching frequencies which can greatly unload capacitors and provide smoother voltage and/or react quicker to changing load.

All-in-all Gigabyte admitted they have been treating us like cheap bastards who deserve motherboards surviving enough to the end of the warranty period. Thanks!
fwoot

rex1234_5@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 07:21:50 AM »

i take it you got the bad end of the stick with a gigabyte mobo? And if you don't mind me asking what model?
Mario.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 03:41:54 PM »

i take it you got the bad end of the stick with a gigabyte mobo? And if you don't mind me asking what model?
Do you remember intel 865 motherboards? That was total dissaster, no matter which manufacturer, even BURNT OUT COPPER on some motherboards!
Simply, the 35um copper for power hungry P4 processors (easily sunk 76A and more) was too little to bear with the prehistoric switching transistors and low switching frequencies of 50-100kHz.

No, I don't blame Gigabyte, I blame ALL the manufacturers using thin copper on heavy loads and our motherboards then blow out or age prematurely. The 35um layer is fine with Sempron and lowrange Athlon processors... up to 65W which is ~50A, but for heavy overclocking and currents of over 80A it is insanely thin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: