Fudzilla
April 17, 2014, 05:41:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fudzilla Forum is open

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Nvidia won’t give AMD SLI ... WTF???  (Read 2062 times)
franzius

View Profile Email
« on: September 01, 2008, 07:38:01 PM »

Fuad,

Please explain to me why AMD should need to license SLI from NVIDIA? AMD has a compelling and competitive offering in Xfire. AMD's GPUs are as good as, and this time around better than NVIDIA's, so please explain to me why you think that this non-licensing drivel that your are pursuing is an issue for either company??

I, Franzius
George

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 02:57:35 PM »

Its all about choice and revenue...

If an end user could buy an AMD cpu + chipset then run SLI AMD would still get money for the chipset. With the current situation anyone that wants to have SLI is forced to buy an Nvidia chipset on an AMD platform.

Choice is always good as an end user (competition invariably leads to lower prices), and it would be good for AMD because they could increase their share of the chipset market on their own platform. It would however be bad for Nvidia since anything AMD gains Nvidia invariably loses.

Some people are always going to want to use SLI, regardless of whether crossfire is better or not. If AMD could sell chipsets to that market as well they would make more money.

But hey, since Nvidia would probably rather release a FX5200+ than give AMD SLI its a bit of a moot point Tongue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: