Fudzilla
April 17, 2014, 12:00:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fudzilla Forum is open

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Nvidia's and ATI's problem in the war against Intel are FABs"  (Read 2430 times)
Kougar

View Profile Email
« on: April 23, 2008, 03:46:29 PM »

Howdy. This is in response to the Fudzilla article: Nvidia's and ATI's problem in the war against Intel are FABs

TSMC is actually doing really fine for Nvidia and ATI in the last few years but it is traditionally at least one year or more behind Intel’s process transition.

TSMC currently doesn’t offer 45nm production while Intel does. Intel will be roughly year ahead of TSMC before this Taiwanese FAB is ready to start its 45nm production as if we remember correctly TSMC plans the GPU 45nm production in early 2009.

I was rather curious after reading this, because I distinctly remembered reading an article a month ago. I remembered it mainly due to possible RV770 and GT200 implications: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20080324215024_TSMC_to_Make_Chips_Using_40nm_Fabrication_Process.html

So, Fudzilla claims Intel is a year ahead, but Xbit's article would suggest TSMC was actually "ahead" in the manufacturing process. My question is, who got it right? Wink From the sound of Xbit's article TSMC would have 40nm capability around the time Intel would have a total of four 45nm FABs up and running this Q3-Q4, just in time for Nehalem.
manwe

siavash.sameni
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 05:47:58 AM »

Howdy. This is in response to the Fudzilla article: Nvidia's and ATI's problem in the war against Intel are FABs

TSMC is actually doing really fine for Nvidia and ATI in the last few years but it is traditionally at least one year or more behind Intelís process transition.

TSMC currently doesnít offer 45nm production while Intel does. Intel will be roughly year ahead of TSMC before this Taiwanese FAB is ready to start its 45nm production as if we remember correctly TSMC plans the GPU 45nm production in early 2009.

I was rather curious after reading this, because I distinctly remembered reading an article a month ago. I remembered it mainly due to possible RV770 and GT200 implications: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20080324215024_TSMC_to_Make_Chips_Using_40nm_Fabrication_Process.html

So, Fudzilla claims Intel is a year ahead, but Xbit's article would suggest TSMC was actually "ahead" in the manufacturing process. My question is, who got it right? Wink From the sound of Xbit's article TSMC would have 40nm capability around the time Intel would have a total of four 45nm FABs up and running this Q3-Q4, just in time for Nehalem.
i believe فؤاد is right like always  Grin , 45nm to 40nm is just an optical shrink just like 65nm to 55nm moreover TSMC haven't switched to High-k yet in addition to that no one have financial resources as intel have at least right now , intel will switch to 32nm in 2009 but TSMC is going for 45nm at the beginning of 2009 , so i believe fudo's right Smiley

anyhow, i don't think that larrabee have any chances against ATI and nVIDIA at least from the driver aspect of view . in addition no one will trust intel graphics , everyone hates it Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: