Fudzilla
April 20, 2014, 01:25:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fudzilla Forum is open

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: article writing quality  (Read 4864 times)
creyesis

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2008, 11:14:09 AM »

Seems most articles i read have sloppy grammar/spelling. Ive noticed it lately, though it might not be a new thing. Its like they havent been proof read sometimes.

just to give some examples:

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6778&Itemid=1
-"Interweb" ? Is this not this a serious news site?

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6783&Itemid=1
-pretty much every sentence in this one reads oddly

its just something i noticed, that is all  Undecided
Nele

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 01:05:37 PM »

Seems most articles i read have sloppy grammar/spelling. Ive noticed it lately, though it might not be a new thing. Its like they havent been proof read sometimes.

just to give some examples:

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6778&Itemid=1
-"Interweb" ? Is this not this a serious news site?

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6783&Itemid=1
-pretty much every sentence in this one reads oddly

its just something i noticed, that is all  Undecided

Interweb - British slang, it's Nick's Inq writing style and we don't think he should change it, as most people are used to it (and I'm guessing they like it). We don't have an in-house style guide as we're still a young publication, but we allow our authors a certain degree of freedom, just to make stuff a bit more interesting.

The 9600GT story was accidentally published before it was proof read, edited and spell checked, it was fixed within 10-15 minutes and you probably read it before, as soon as it was published.

Thanks for your feedback, when you see such stuff feel free to contact me at nermin@itx.ba.
Mario.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 05:40:41 PM »

Yes, the grammar is bad, at least in English. In your own sentence above are three (3) errors. Not that bad, fudo can still make some more ;-)
Note that none of the writers is a native English speaker.
Nele

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 07:07:54 PM »

Yes, the grammar is bad, at least in English. In your own sentence above are three (3) errors. Not that bad, fudo can still make some more ;-)
Note that none of the writers is a native English speaker.

Nick and David are native speakers, too bad the other 10 or so aren't...  Grin

What can I say guys, I'll try to do better. I didn't realize so many people read the articles as soon as they're published (RSS). Basically, it all comes down to time constraints - I edit both sites at once and sometimes It just takes too long to get around to everything, especially in the morning (8-11 CET).

BTW, everybody screws up spelling and grammar in board discussions, don't be so harsh on creyesis... Grin
Arbie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 10:27:48 PM »

I don't mean to pick nits since I speak only English and admire people who can write as well as you guys do in a second language.

However, this one is funny and was repeated, so maybe you'd like to know...  "Tapped out" means exhausted, empty, no more resources; or to define slang with slang, "has reached the end of the line".  The GT200 isn't tapped out.

And if I can make an unrelated point:  "solution" is overused.  Just say "card" or "cooler" or whatever.

Thanks again for a great site; the top of my favorites list.

Arbie
Arbie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 10:39:13 PM »

Another pet peeve; hardly limited to Fudzilla...  the correct term is "whup-ass".  It means getting your ass whupped (from 'whipped').  Yes, you 've seen it for years in PC Magazine as "whoop-ass" but that's nonsensical and wrong.  Trust me on this one.

Arbie
Nele

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 11:26:07 PM »

I don't mean to pick nits since I speak only English and admire people who can write as well as you guys do in a second language.

Thanks, we do our best (from time to time).

However, this one is funny and was repeated, so maybe you'd like to know...  "Tapped out" means exhausted, empty, no more resources; or to define slang with slang, "has reached the end of the line".  The GT200 isn't tapped out.

Actually, it's not "tapped out", it's "taped out", meaning http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tape-out

And if I can make an unrelated point:  "solution" is overused.  Just say "card" or "cooler" or whatever.

Valid point, I'll look into it (i.e. I'll tell Slobodan to stop using it so often) Grin.

Thanks again for a great site; the top of my favorites list.

Arbie

We aim to please.  Grin
Nele

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 11:33:28 PM »

Another pet peeve; hardly limited to Fudzilla...  the correct term is "whup-ass".  It means getting your ass whupped (from 'whipped').  Yes, you 've seen it for years in PC Magazine as "whoop-ass" but that's nonsensical and wrong.  Trust me on this one.

Arbie

I thought it was whoop, but as far as I know few of our authors ever used it (and trust me, I know - I read all of them in two languages each day).

It's an American term, so I'm guessing the article in question is David's. I doubt any of the other writers uses this term, they worked for British sites and I don't think the Brits use "whoop-ass"/"whup-ass" much.

Thanks

Nermin
CJ

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 01:18:41 AM »

Guys, maybe we shouldn't follow the rules so blindly (and not that I don't get pissed about lousy grammar and spelling often, since I also edit and write).

Let me just share one thing with you: French, as a language, has an actual board of people that decide on whether a word should enter the dictionary.

English, on the other hand, is a different story alltogether. If Robert De Niro or Kevin Spacey use a word more then two times - then BAM, it goes straight in! (Chow is the best prototype, look it up)

Furthermore, that's what makes English the most probable universal language (and trust me I went to college for that) - versatility. So let's not pick hairs when it comes to making up words Cheesy

However, we do, and will, try our best to correct spelling mistakes, but we'd hate to see you guys get angry if we miss a couple. When you try to speak and write a foreign language you'll probably understand what kind of frustrations we're going trough on a daily basis - sometimes you just can't find the right way to say something like you would on your native language so you just try to get the information trough in any way possible.

Nedim Hadzic, CJ
Nele

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 09:48:22 AM »

Guys, maybe we shouldn't follow the rules so blindly (and not that I don't get pissed about lousy grammar and spelling often, since I also edit and write).

The only rules followed blindly at Fudzilla are the ones put in place by our Glorious Great Leader, Fudo the Omnipotent.

Come to think of it, you're the only one with a degree in English here, so I guess you should take over the editing bit from me.

No extra pay, of course.
Mario.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 12:45:50 PM »

It's an American term, so I'm guessing the article in question is David's. I doubt any of the other writers uses this term, they worked for British sites and I don't think the Brits use "whoop-ass"/"whup-ass" much.
Why not sticking to the standard "kicks a55"? Or just simply say that it rocks ;-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: