Fudzilla
April 17, 2014, 04:51:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fudzilla Forum is open

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coolermaster 'Cosmos S' case - a lesson in mediocrity  (Read 2776 times)
Arbie

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2008, 04:13:51 AM »

It's sad to see a company produce such an obviously flawed item and promote it as "high end" equipment.  I looked very hard at the original Cosmos, wanting to like it.  But the more I learned the more disappointed I became, and finally realized that just because a company has been making PC cases and other gear for quite a while and has a name like "Coolermaster" does not mean that they'll do it right.  The ostensible flagship of the Coolermaster line, the Cosmos case had many internal design errors; but even worse was its cooling.  This giant case had second-rate provisions for mounting components and totally inadequate (actually, bungled) cooling arrangements for them.  You wouldn't even want it.  Check out the Newegg customer comments.  Most people bought it on looks or on one of the surprisingly non-perceptive site reviews.  Those owners that attempted a major load-out were puzzled that so many things (especially hard drives) overheated.  Giant case, lots of room, high price, tons of chrome, Coolermaster name... we must be doing something wrong...?

Now we have the 'Cosmos S' - a pretty quick revamp.   And they did fix some of the cooling (looks like the stupid front door is gone).  But check other reviews - the drive mounting is still so bad you wouldn't want to deal with it.  And this is a premium case at a premium price.

Lesson:  don't trust a name, and don't trust any one site's reviews - even on something as relatively straightforward as a computer case.  This was an education for me, and I'm sure glad I didn't press "Buy".

Arbie
Nele

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 10:58:26 AM »

Thanks for the feedback. If only everyone was ready to share his opinion and personal experience about products they have used or encountered...
fwoot

rex1234_5@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 06:25:43 AM »

that sucks but then again it's really just the luck of the draw with mass production. Take for instance the ANTEC 900. The so called "noob" case got some pretty harsh comments on any forum and to my suprise I have encountered zero problems with mine. Use your brain people..no case can be perfect even the lian lee's so if it sounds too good to be true, it generally is.
Kougar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 04:03:06 PM »

that sucks but then again it's really just the luck of the draw with mass production. Take for instance the ANTEC 900. The so called "noob" case got some pretty harsh comments on any forum and to my suprise I have encountered zero problems with mine. Use your brain people..no case can be perfect even the lian lee's so if it sounds too good to be true, it generally is.

Good words there. Cosmos S is pretty good from what I've seen... BUT not $250 good! Those drive issues shouldn't be there, and at such a high price they could of at least thrown in a second drive cage, the cheapskates. Wink Unfortunately decent cases with triple 120mm radiator mounts are a rarity (That actually look good with them is even rarer). I'm seriously interest in the case, but I'm waiting for another one of those absurdly massive MIRs that they had with the original Cosmos. The case is to overpriced for what it is at $250, ya can buy MountainMod cubes built to your design specifications for $20 more. The same $20 you'd spend on a 2nd 4-drive cage for the Cosmos S.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: