Fudzilla
April 23, 2014, 09:37:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fudzilla Forum is open

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much is too much??  (Read 7916 times)
fwoot

rex1234_5@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« on: April 09, 2008, 06:18:54 AM »

Okay just wondering if anyone would know whether or not any game would use more than 4 g ram. I only ask as i've had my eye on GeIL's PC2-6400 800MHz Evo One DDR2  8.0GB kit. I mean more games are getting more ram hungry as the system requirements for assasins creed is 4 gig running on vista, so is for gigs enough or is 8 gis handy or just overkill???/ Plus I've been reading up on some of the hassle's that alot of gamers have been having with 64bit Vista (is it worth the hassle??)
Eliot
Fudzilla Crew

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 02:17:53 AM »

Okay just wondering if anyone would know whether or not any game would use more than 4 g ram. I only ask as i've had my eye on GeIL's PC2-6400 800MHz Evo One DDR2  8.0GB kit. I mean more games are getting more ram hungry as the system requirements for assasins creed is 4 gig running on vista, so is for gigs enough or is 8 gis handy or just overkill???/ Plus I've been reading up on some of the hassle's that alot of gamers have been having with 64bit Vista (is it worth the hassle??)

Some games would like to use more RAM, but they are coded in a 32-bit enviroment, so they can't.... Supreme Command is running in 2GB... even it would like to have more Smiley

4GB on Vista is maybe because of DX10, have not yet seen it or have a comparsion between XP and Vista.

I will not change to Vista even when hell is freezing, as long as the system is such a crappy retard bastard.
As some financial analyst said - I'm saying for about 5 years - Windows has to be programmed new in whole...

The hazle you are speaking of is, most games are still distributed with 32-bit only code. So it runs within WOW32, where the same restrictions apply as running under XP. The second downside with 90% of games is the gfx-drivers are infact slower, some are dramatically slower compared to XP.

Also remember, next generation CPUs come with memory-controller built in and they will only support DDR3...

best,

Eliot.
fwoot

rex1234_5@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 11:46:52 AM »

would you see much performance in games in moving to ddr3? I mean buying 2 gigs is pretty expensive but doable but i would fear the price of a 4g dual channel ddr3 kit. Plus my desktop is primarily for gaming so i figured i'd just buy a beefy yet not a cutting edge pc.
Eliot
Fudzilla Crew

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 01:39:23 PM »

would you see much performance in games in moving to ddr3? I mean buying 2 gigs is pretty expensive but doable but i would fear the price of a 4g dual channel ddr3 kit. Plus my desktop is primarily for gaming so i figured i'd just buy a beefy yet not a cutting edge pc.

no, moving from ddr2 to ddr3 does nothing performance wise.
I have checked that out in the ASUS Maxiumus Review here:
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4767&Itemid=40&limit=1&limitstart=7
The differences are neglectible.

best,

Eliot
Nele

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 11:24:57 PM »

no, moving from ddr2 to ddr3 does nothing performance wise.
I have checked that out in the ASUS Maxiumus Review here:
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4767&Itemid=40&limit=1&limitstart=7
The differences are neglectible.

best,

Eliot

You mean negligible ?

Damn, as if editing articles wasn't enough, now i I have to deal with the board too. This isn't what I went to school for... Undecided
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: