Fudzilla
April 18, 2014, 06:03:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fudzilla Forum is open

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Copyrights and Ownership of news and images.  (Read 5659 times)
AlabamaCajun

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2008, 02:23:27 PM »

I noticed a disturbing trend in news reflector sites putting watermarks on images provided by major companies. Take the latest releases from Intel on the Nehalem platform. Many sites including The Fud are not crediting these details to the source but instead watermarking images and positing quotes without representation of the source. Borderline plagiarism or violations of copyright materials. If Fud sends reporters out to snap pictures of IDF and other shows, then you have the right to watermark your footage. Most of the stories I read here are posted elsewhere but the links are not provided to the details that I want to read. This and other sites are convenient to get the latest stories but lets move Fud above the crowd of echo-soundbite rags.

I'm in the tech field and a lot of up and coming hardware affects what we do in creating future software applications. The Fud has been on top of the latest but please provide the links to general sources so we don't have to weed through all the sales garbage on the net to locate accurate details.
Nele

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 01:12:02 PM »

I noticed a disturbing trend in news reflector sites putting watermarks on images provided by major companies. Take the latest releases from Intel on the Nehalem platform. Many sites including The Fud are not crediting these details to the source but instead watermarking images and positing quotes without representation of the source. Borderline plagiarism or violations of copyright materials. If Fud sends reporters out to snap pictures of IDF and other shows, then you have the right to watermark your footage. Most of the stories I read here are posted elsewhere but the links are not provided to the details that I want to read. This and other sites are convenient to get the latest stories but lets move Fud above the crowd of echo-soundbite rags.

I'm in the tech field and a lot of up and coming hardware affects what we do in creating future software applications. The Fud has been on top of the latest but please provide the links to general sources so we don't have to weed through all the sales garbage on the net to locate accurate details.

Well, when we can, we link to the source, but as you already know, we simply can't reveal the source for a lot of our stuff. As for watermarking, many sites use our content without our consent and we have to protect the work of our authors as it usually takes a lot of effort to get the stuff we watermark. We rarely quote unnamed officials, but when we do it is at their explicit request and that's a common practice in all publications. I'm not saying that there's no room for improvement, but sometime it's just very hard to provide adequate sources due to the aforementioned constraints. We know that is sometimes doesn't go down well with the readers, but the only option is not to publish such stories at all until getting official confirmation, and that, well, isn't an option. Our readers demand the latest news, that's why they come to Fudz in the first place. Thanks for your comment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: