Fudzilla
April 18, 2014, 09:28:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fudzilla Forum is open

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phenom Triple Core B3  (Read 12628 times)
aznstriker92

View Profile Email
« on: March 13, 2008, 12:47:47 AM »

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/28/a_first_look_at_amd_triple_core_phenom/
What do you people think?
Fudzilla says OEMs are going crazy over it.

Running a X600 128mb, In need of a new graphics card badly......
Eliot
Fudzilla Crew

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 05:50:29 AM »

What do you people think?
Fudzilla says OEMs are going crazy over it.

They are because they will get if for the price of a dual...

But 4 day 2 day users, it's crap. Power consumption is only off mere 10W from the quad-core, no competition to Intel at all and using too much energy for the performance you get.

best,

Eliot
manwe

siavash.sameni
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 11:04:36 AM »

as far as i know using barcelona core will bring Kernel panic to your computer , so as long as it haven't got fixed i won't buy one .
you can find more information on
http://www.phoronix.com
aznstriker92

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 01:18:28 AM »

Tomshardware review show that there is a pretty good increase on performance. If the price is right, it will be a winner.

manwe

siavash.sameni
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 04:54:30 PM »

technically K10 scales much better than intel Core architecture , so it's just matter of clock pulse , moreover intel can't make 3 core processors , so time will tell what will happen Smiley .
if AMD manage to reach at least 2.6 GHz , it would be the best processor to buy Smiley
AussieTemplar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 11:12:18 PM »

Hopefully AMD will be getting back into the market Cheesy
lastfj

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 03:39:01 AM »

The performance looks well as quad-core
but i wish AMD can cut down Triple's  Power consumption & the price should looks fine

DAAMIT Fighting Wink
Occupy more OEM's market !
Go ahead !
aznstriker92

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 04:23:04 AM »

technically K10 scales much better than intel Core architecture , so it's just matter of clock pulse , moreover intel can't make 3 core processors , so time will tell what will happen Smiley .
if AMD manage to reach at least 2.6 GHz , it would be the best processor to buy Smiley
'
K10.5 should reach over 3.0 GHz.

Nele

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 11:05:44 AM »

The price is what counts - if should end up at 110-120 euro it sounds like a nice deal for people who can utilize the 3rd core. Intel's E4700 goes for that kind of money, but it's probably still a better choice for gamers.
fudo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 11:21:17 AM »

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6306&Itemid=1

so this is what you get, worth the money as its cheaper than Quad and scores almost the same

F
AlabamaCajun

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 04:39:17 PM »

as far as i know using barcelona core will bring Kernel panic to your computer , so as long as it haven't got fixed i won't buy one .
you can find more information on
http://www.phoronix.com
There are some issues with the current B2 cores but it's hyped more that actuality. I along with a couple of other people on overclockers.com run Quad Phenoms 24/7 on all 4 cores. We run Folding@Home (Stanfords protein research distributed computing program) on the Phenoms and other hardware. If performance is what you are concerned, you may want to wait for the B3 stepping cores. I've gamed on it, rendered scenes, installed Vista and Server 2003 along with folding. As for the CPU crapping out, no, only with overclocking did I see issues with the NB.
AlabamaCajun

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 04:57:42 PM »

Note to Fud, when discussing AMD products, the FSB on current processors runs at CPU speed except the Phenom's memory controller and north bridge run at slower speeds. What you are referring to setting at 230 it the CPU reference clock or CPU clock. This is important when posting on open forums and journals as people see FSB and think you mean System Bus. If a casual user looks at systems, they might see you say 230FSB on an AMD and then see an intel advertised as 1333FSB.

I've been following stories on the trikes since announced. I don't see a use in my shop at this time unless they run on older AM2 boards. Currently I run X2 because I've had them for a while and now moving Quads because I need s many cores as I can get at best speed per dollar (including a iQ6600). Where these X3s benefit most is for people wanting a little better office machines, media centers, video encoding and home users that like to do more.

If you see a Phenom X3 with 2N L3 at or near the sub 3 Gigahertz X2 prices then the X3 is going to be a much better choice because all that cache help in most cases such as gaming, encoding, CAD, rendering and big spread sheets. The OEMs see this as a way to get more sales from the gotta have it but won't spend what it costs for a quad.
Hugh MANN

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 04:59:09 PM »

QUESTION,
    What do you do with a defective Phenom Quad Core CPU?

ANSWER,
    You disable one or two of the defective cores and sell it as a Triple Core, or Dual Core Phenom CPU!

Will it work on older motherboards?
     possibly, if you update the BIOS, but why bother?  In all probability the older motherboard will not be PCIE 2.0 compliant, and still be limited to a maximum of DDR2 800 MHz memory!

Multiple CPU's, or multicore CPU's are primarily for multitasking!  That is like walking and chewing gum at the same time!  And there are still limits to how much bubble gum you can chew at any one time!

I have an ASUS M3A-32 MVP wifi Motherboard, with 4 GB of DDR2 1066 RAM and I replaced my Phenom 9600 Quad Core CPU with a dual core Athlon 64 6400+ BE CPU overclocked to 3.5 GHz, along with a Radeon HD 3870 video card!  Even though the CPU only recognizes the memory as being DDR2 800MHz, I have not noticed and difference in my 2D applications, or the number of applications that I can run at once, But I have certainly noticed a significant difference in my 3D games!

My recommendation would be to save your money and buy a motherboard that is a little more futureproof, and then put a CPU in it that operates faster than 2.3 GHz!  3 cores might be better than 2 cores, but 4 GHz is a whole lot better than 2.3 GHz!

aznstriker92

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 01:08:52 AM »

Its because games have yet to utilize the 3rd and 4th core. But look at Sup com, if you have a quad core, your fps will take a huge boost.

manwe

siavash.sameni
View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 02:26:21 PM »

QUESTION,
    What do you do with a defective Phenom Quad Core CPU?

ANSWER,
    You disable one or two of the defective cores and sell it as a Triple Core, or Dual Core Phenom CPU!

Will it work on older motherboards?
     possibly, if you update the BIOS, but why bother?  In all probability the older motherboard will not be PCIE 2.0 compliant, and still be limited to a maximum of DDR2 800 MHz memory!

Multiple CPU's, or multicore CPU's are primarily for multitasking!  That is like walking and chewing gum at the same time!  And there are still limits to how much bubble gum you can chew at any one time!

I have an ASUS M3A-32 MVP wifi Motherboard, with 4 GB of DDR2 1066 RAM and I replaced my Phenom 9600 Quad Core CPU with a dual core Athlon 64 6400+ BE CPU overclocked to 3.5 GHz, along with a Radeon HD 3870 video card!  Even though the CPU only recognizes the memory as being DDR2 800MHz, I have not noticed and difference in my 2D applications, or the number of applications that I can run at once, But I have certainly noticed a significant difference in my 3D games!

My recommendation would be to save your money and buy a motherboard that is a little more futureproof, and then put a CPU in it that operates faster than 2.3 GHz!  3 cores might be better than 2 cores, but 4 GHz is a whole lot better than 2.3 GHz!

I'll replace my X2 which is working at 2.6 GHz with a 2.2-2.3 GHz phenom processor as soon as the kernel panic fixes , if you want to play games you it's not necessary at all to go Quad , makes no differ whether it's phenom or C2Q , but i'm sure that i can put the 3rd and 4th cores of phenom in to good use Smiley
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 09:48:12 PM by manwe » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: