Fudzilla
April 20, 2014, 06:56:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fudzilla Forum is open

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stirling Engine Heatsink.  (Read 6866 times)
aznstriker92

View Profile Email
« on: March 03, 2008, 11:29:43 PM »

This looks interesting.

http://www.dailytech.com/MSI+Showcases+Stirling+Engine+Heatsink/article10918.htm

"MSI has designed a new chipset cooling fan that is able to operate without electricity. MSIís new chipset cooler, which is accordingly dubbed the ďAir Power Cooler,Ē offers all of the benefits of a cooler with a fan without drawing any power." Shocked

Looks like MSI is reallying going green.

Running a X600 128mb, In need of a new graphics card badly......
RussianHAXOR

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 03:31:13 AM »

I saw that and it seems like a really cool concept, but pretty useless for those who really need it. Im sure that thing doesnt push more than 10CFM.
Jon
Global Moderator

swallow your pride.

audiofreak39@gmail.com AuDioFreaK39
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 04:52:47 AM »

This looks interesting.

http://www.dailytech.com/MSI+Showcases+Stirling+Engine+Heatsink/article10918.htm

"MSI has designed a new chipset cooling fan that is able to operate without electricity. MSIís new chipset cooler, which is accordingly dubbed the ďAir Power Cooler,Ē offers all of the benefits of a cooler with a fan without drawing any power." Shocked

"MSI tells DailyTech that the system is able to convert 70% of heat power to kinetic energy. It is important to note that enough heat must be supplied to spin the fan blades. If the chipset isnít hot enough, the entire system will not run."

My favorite two sentences.  A real-world proof of the concept that nothing is ever 100% efficient - for those testing the idea  Wink

Core i7 Extreme 965 {} EVGA X58 SLI Classified Limited Edition{} 6GB Mushkin XP Series DDR3 1600MHz 7-8-7-20 {} EVGA GeForce GTX 295 Plus [Quad-SLI] {} Thermalright TRUE Copper
aznstriker92

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 05:50:44 AM »

Of course. If something was 100% effecient, we wouldn't need new innovations all the time.

Running a X600 128mb, In need of a new graphics card badly......
AlabamaCajun

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 05:26:59 PM »

In most cases where a chipset only produces anough heat to run the fan then that needs to be the point where the chipset needs the extra cooling. If ambient temp is 25C and the Stirling needs a 25C differential to operate then that means the chipset will need to rise to 50C to get extra cooling. Considering that chipsets have been running in the 50C-65C range for quite some time then we might see a use. Can is keep the chipset below 55C?

This being the first run, I expect someone will produce on that runs 80-85% eff.
Angel06

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 05:34:25 AM »

This looks interesting.

"MSI tells DailyTech that the system is able to convert 70% of heat power to kinetic energy. It is important to note that enough heat must be supplied to spin the fan blades. If the chipset isnít hot enough, the entire system will not run."

My favorite two sentences.  A real-world proof of the concept that nothing is ever 100% efficient - for those testing the idea  Wink

The Windows Installer (previously known as Microsoft Installer) is an engine for the installation, maintenance, and removal of software on modern Microsoft Windows systems.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 06:56:53 AM »

You gotta give them credit. They're being innovative, which should lead to a more practical version. I guess having a fan that doesn't use PSU power is a benefit in any respect.

If you do not want a bonus, click the follwing link:
http://www.wargames2.net

vanguardfox

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 07:08:18 AM »

In most cases where a chipset only produces anough heat to run the fan then that needs to be the point where the chipset needs the extra cooling. If ambient temp is 25C and the Stirling needs a 25C differential to operate then that means the chipset will need to rise to 50C to get extra cooling. Considering that chipsets have been running in the 50C-65C range for quite some time then we might see a use. Can is keep the chipset below 55C?

This being the first run, I expect someone will produce on that runs 80-85% eff.

I guess this fan is for those who have maxed out their PSU wattage and desperately need a fan. haha.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: