Fudzilla
April 20, 2014, 04:34:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fudzilla Forum is open

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nvidia ForceWare 171.31 Released - Vista / XP (x86 and x64)  (Read 3726 times)
Jon
Global Moderator

swallow your pride.

audiofreak39@gmail.com AuDioFreaK39
View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 03, 2008, 05:53:44 AM »

Nvidia has a tendency recently to keep popping out drivers like no other.  This is their third release within a 7 day period.  Be sure to bookmark the bottom link, as it's a direct link to an official Nvidia's driver page from one of their servers.

Some are reporting slightly better results with 174.12 instead, but the majority of people are reporting that many common black screen and BSOD errors have been fixed.

XP x86 (including modded .inf):

http://www.koehling.eu/forceware/nvidia_forceware_174.31_xp_x86.exe

XP x64 (including modded .inf):
http://www.koehling.eu/forceware/nvidia_forceware_174.31_xp_x64.exe

Vista x86 (including modded .inf):
http://www.koehling.eu/forceware/nvidia_forceware_174.31_vista_x86.exe

Vista x64 (including modded .inf):
http://www.koehling.eu/forceware/nvidia_forceware_174.31_vista_x64.exe

Nvidia's Driver Page:
http://74.50.4.243/nvidia/170series/
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 06:00:29 AM by AuDioFreaK39 » Logged

Core i7 Extreme 965 {} EVGA X58 SLI Classified Limited Edition{} 6GB Mushkin XP Series DDR3 1600MHz 7-8-7-20 {} EVGA GeForce GTX 295 Plus [Quad-SLI] {} Thermalright TRUE Copper
aznstriker92

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 11:34:40 PM »

Nvidias driver versions confuse me. Why can't they have it simple like ATIs.

Running a X600 128mb, In need of a new graphics card badly......
Muckpen

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 01:49:38 AM »

What does it all mean Basil!?! HEH  Shocked  A few more fixes to be sure.
Jon
Global Moderator

swallow your pride.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 05:04:35 AM »

These aren't confusing at all to say the least.  In fact, 90% of Nvidia's driver revisions are released in sequential numerical order - and then there are some, that I admit, aren't, and confuse the hell out of everyone.  But the point is, they are working very hard at giving the consumer a "satisfaction guarantee" in a sense by consistently pushing out new fixes and enhancements - in my opinion (yes I know you guys all bash them), I call this a new move for loyal support from their broad fanbase, consumer base, and OEM base.

As for these 174.31 drivers, I've found that they perform right on track with 174.20 but they fix address almost all BSOD and black screen issues - Call of Duty 4 runs perfectly smooth, Crysis still has a few hitches but it's consistently getting better, and Unreal Tournament 3 runs like a dream.  Nuff said.

Core i7 Extreme 965 {} EVGA X58 SLI Classified Limited Edition{} 6GB Mushkin XP Series DDR3 1600MHz 7-8-7-20 {} EVGA GeForce GTX 295 Plus [Quad-SLI] {} Thermalright TRUE Copper
aznstriker92

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 05:47:56 AM »

These aren't confusing at all to say the least.  In fact, 90% of Nvidia's driver revisions are released in sequential numerical order - and then there are some, that I admit, aren't, and confuse the hell out of everyone.  But the point is, they are working very hard at giving the consumer a "satisfaction guarantee" in a sense by consistently pushing out new fixes and enhancements - in my opinion (yes I know you guys all bash them), I call this a new move for loyal support from their broad fanbase, consumer base, and OEM base.

As for these 174.31 drivers, I've found that they perform right on track with 174.20 but they fix address almost all BSOD and black screen issues - Call of Duty 4 runs perfectly smooth, Crysis still has a few hitches but it's consistently getting better, and Unreal Tournament 3 runs like a dream.  Nuff said.
Well in that case, I can't wait and see what Catalyst 8.3 brings me.

Running a X600 128mb, In need of a new graphics card badly......
Flanno

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 11:05:48 AM »

I'd like to know if nvidia are so dedicated at giving a "satisfaction guarantee" to their customer why they don't bother putting official whql drivers on their site.  I just checked and the  last official forceware release  was 169.25 on the 20th December last year for Vista. Since then, we have been relying on Beta leaks from guru3d and other sites.  I think Nvidia suck with driver support, and ATI are far superior.  I believe that is the general consensus too. Almost every forum I look on people complain about nvidias support and praise ATI for their monthly updates.  I for one may be ditching my GTX and giving the X2 a serious looks once the new Catalyst drivers are officially released.  The new 9 series does not impress at all, and just sounds like a reworked G92.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 11:07:54 AM by Flanno » Logged
Jon
Global Moderator

swallow your pride.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 07:42:17 PM »

I'd like to know if nvidia are so dedicated at giving a "satisfaction guarantee" to their customer why they don't bother putting official whql drivers on their site.  I just checked and the  last official forceware release  was 169.25 on the 20th December last year for Vista. Since then, we have been relying on Beta leaks from guru3d and other sites.  I think Nvidia suck with driver support, and ATI are far superior.  I believe that is the general consensus too. Almost every forum I look on people complain about nvidias support and praise ATI for their monthly updates.  I for one may be ditching my GTX and giving the X2 a serious looks once the new Catalyst drivers are officially released.  The new 9 series does not impress at all, and just sounds like a reworked G92.

That's because the 9 series is a reworked G92.  We've already had several discussions on this in these forums and many others.  You won't be seeing Nvidia's true commitment to hardware innovation until around September or so with the "GT200" architecture, but as for now you can notice that we've all been relying on beta driver leaks (software support) as you said - that's because there is absolutely nothing wrong with the ForceWare 169.25 drivers that were released in December.  The consistency of WHQL drivers has come to a slow down because Nvidia wants to thoroughly refine their official driver releases so they don't have to release them as often - this is much more convenient to the average consumer who doesn't want to spend his or her time constantly updating to new WHQL releases.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: