Fudzilla
April 18, 2014, 04:00:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fudzilla Forum is open

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Samsung F1 - 2 x HD502IJ, 2 x HE502IJ, or 1 x HD753LJ? I Need A New RAID Config  (Read 16242 times)
Jon
Global Moderator

swallow your pride.

audiofreak39@gmail.com AuDioFreaK39
View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 02, 2008, 02:27:39 AM »

This is a previous post I've made on the StorageReview.net forums, but no one would give me any insight so I decided to post my question on Fud:

I just recently heard about the launch...and delay, of the Samsung Spinpoint F1 series drives, and I have a great interest in purchasing them. Right now I have two Maxtor Maxline III 250GB's in a RAID0 config which need to be replaced by larger drives. I want to have a 1TB storage system in my current rig, but I need some advice as to how I should do it. Based on what I have seen, this is what it comes down to:

Desktop Class:
Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD502IJ 500GB

• Serial ATA 3.0Gbps Interface Support
• Improved recording stability over temperature with PMR
• Advanced dynamic FOD control for best data integrity
• Intelligent compensation of external disturbance
• SATA Native Command Queuing Feature
• Device Initiated SATA Power Management
• Staggerd Spin-up Support
• Environment friendly product with RoHS compliance
• Improved performance with dual-ARM based firmware
• ATA S.M.A.R.T. Compliant
• ATA Automatic Acoustic Management Feature
• ATA 48-bit Address Feature
• ATA Device Configuration Overlay Feature
• NoiseGuard™
• SilentSeek™

Enterprise RAID Class:
Samsung Spinpoint F1 HE502IJ 500GB

same features and identical specs as above with the addition of:
• Rotational vibration sensor

and then of course, if a RAID0 isn't the way to go for these drives , I would get a
Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB

same features as HD502IJ and relatively same price but with:
• 32MB cache

Lastly, here are my two questions. What configuration of drives would yield the fastest performance on a desktop Vista PC? When will the 500GB Spinpoing F1 drives be available in the United States? Thanks in advance.

Core i7 Extreme 965 {} EVGA X58 SLI Classified Limited Edition{} 6GB Mushkin XP Series DDR3 1600MHz 7-8-7-20 {} EVGA GeForce GTX 295 Plus [Quad-SLI] {} Thermalright TRUE Copper
juxmw

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 08:35:09 AM »

If you understand german you can read some user opinions about the product here: http://geizhals.at/?sr=260888,-1
geizhals.at is fudzillas "most favorite price search machine" in Europe and mainly german.

I was also thinking about buying this drive, but I read a lot of bad things about it (crashes after a few days, weeks, month) and I don't know if ti can take them serious.

best,

juxmw
Jon
Global Moderator

swallow your pride.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 09:16:28 AM »

If you understand german you can read some user opinions about the product here: http://geizhals.at/?sr=260888,-1
geizhals.at is fudzillas "most favorite price search machine" in Europe and mainly german.

I was also thinking about buying this drive, but I read a lot of bad things about it (crashes after a few days, weeks, month) and I don't know if ti can take them serious.

best,

juxmw

Wow, thanks for the link man, I'm very interested in what people have to say - thing is though, I can't read German, and Google Translate sometimes puts words out of context.  Would you happen to know what they are saying about the drive?

Core i7 Extreme 965 {} EVGA X58 SLI Classified Limited Edition{} 6GB Mushkin XP Series DDR3 1600MHz 7-8-7-20 {} EVGA GeForce GTX 295 Plus [Quad-SLI] {} Thermalright TRUE Copper
juxmw

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 11:03:16 AM »

it WAS very mixed.  Some say it's amazing (silent, fast, cheap) others say it crashed after a few month or even a few days and it's crap. I wrote "WAS" because a few minutes ago I found this information:

I read the opinions a few weaks ago and a lot of people complained about the 'samsung f1 "m.c." error' when testing the drive with hutil (defect sectors). But now (about 1 month later) I saw for the first time, that Samsung clarified, that this is a hutil-bug and that the drive is perfectly ok.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=393679&sid=aaef7b5c8fea898d55040b4afb94b122#393679

So this was my main reason not buying this baby ... I think i will order these days Cheesy
And 3 years of guarantee makes it more worth buying it - in Germany you can get on for 99€, here in Austria it's still 107€
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 11:07:11 AM by juxmw » Logged
Eliot
Fudzilla Crew

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 05:57:05 PM »

I have some 750GB F1 Samsungs in use, but not yet heavily due no spare time.

The drive is indeed extremly silent, it gets not that hot, but I would not suggest to put in small cases without air cooling. The price is under €100,- now, which makes it the cheapest harddisc per GB in Euroland.

best,

Eliot
Jon
Global Moderator

swallow your pride.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 07:37:41 PM »

it WAS very mixed.  Some say it's amazing (silent, fast, cheap) others say it crashed after a few month or even a few days and it's crap. I wrote "WAS" because a few minutes ago I found this information:

I read the opinions a few weaks ago and a lot of people complained about the 'samsung f1 "m.c." error' when testing the drive with hutil (defect sectors). But now (about 1 month later) I saw for the first time, that Samsung clarified, that this is a hutil-bug and that the drive is perfectly ok.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=393679&sid=aaef7b5c8fea898d55040b4afb94b122#393679

So this was my main reason not buying this baby ... I think i will order these days Cheesy
And 3 years of guarantee makes it more worth buying it - in Germany you can get on for 99€, here in Austria it's still 107€

Ahh, that's very good news.  I'm just about ready to order two of these for my RAID0 setup.  But should I wait for the RAID Edition to be released?  (HE753LJ), or will it not matter?  I really want these as soon as possible, but I don't want to risk any performance loss or failure down the road.

Eliot
Fudzilla Crew

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 07:44:15 PM »

Ahh, that's very good news.  I'm just about ready to order two of these for my RAID0 setup.  But should I wait for the RAID Edition to be released?  (HE753LJ), or will it not matter?  I really want these as soon as possible, but I don't want to risk any performance loss or failure down the road.

Good question, my 500GB are working since 1.5 years 24/7 (not always, but most of the time) and they did not crash yet. I would anyways suggest to make a backup anyways. Another question is how much it will cost Smiley

best,

Eliot
Jon
Global Moderator

swallow your pride.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 04:33:05 AM »

Good question, my 500GB are working since 1.5 years 24/7 (not always, but most of the time) and they did not crash yet. I would anyways suggest to make a backup anyways. Another question is how much it will cost Smiley

best,

Eliot

Well, as it is, I could get two of these drives on Newegg for $300 shipped (including tax).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152100&Tpk=hd753lj

However, the price for the RAID edition of the drives on many sites backordering them is already $145 or so for the 500GB editions.  This gives me the notion that I should just get the 750GBs from Newegg regardless of the model.  What's your opinion on this?

Eliot
Fudzilla Crew

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 05:58:00 AM »

However, the price for the RAID edition of the drives on many sites backordering them is already $145 or so for the 500GB editions.  This gives me the notion that I should just get the 750GBs from Newegg regardless of the model.  What's your opinion on this?

It always takes two to three months till samsung hdds reach their level. If you can't wait that long, buy now, but be sure to backup always.

best,

Eliot
fudo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 11:28:30 AM »

I just bought one of these 750 drives and I will kill eliot if it's bad Smiley It has to be better than my ultra noisy very hot first 750GB Seagate - cca 2 years old
Nele

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 12:23:16 PM »

I just bought one of these 750 drives and I will kill eliot if it's bad Smiley It has to be better than my ultra noisy very hot first 750GB Seagate - cca 2 years old

If you kill Eliot, we'll have to erect a tombstone designed like a motherboard, that might be expensive...  Grin
Jon
Global Moderator

swallow your pride.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 06:37:21 AM »

You made a very wise decision Fudo.  I have two of these drives in a 1.5TB RAID0 and they are quieter than I can whisper  Wink

fwoot

rex1234_5@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 07:14:19 AM »

whatever drive you buy i can gaurentee it'll be quieter than a raptor x. I sometimes think of just using my 1 terra seagate hd instead.
Eliot
Fudzilla Crew

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 01:48:11 AM »

If you kill Eliot, we'll have to erect a tombstone designed like a motherboard, that might be expensive...  Grin

Problem is, graves in Vienna are very very expensive, not the grave itself, but all the costs to get a proper funeral. So I hope you have saves some pennies for Fudo, because it may cost between € 8 to 12k. This is without a tomb-stone... and don't ask for the price of a tomb-stone ;-)

I gave him the 750GB, so  I can happily buy 1TB drives :-)
But this gets about 2°C hotter... :-/
I need a bigger case... :-(

best,

Eliot.
Eliot
Fudzilla Crew

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 01:50:13 AM »

whatever drive you buy i can gaurentee it'll be quieter than a raptor x. I sometimes think of just using my 1 terra seagate hd instead.

Raptors are just marketing hype... If you want something fast and solid you go for SAS drives with 15k.
If you want much space and fast drive you take Samsung... I believe this harddrive is faster on sequencial read than any Raptor, of course the seek-time is limited.

best,

Eliot.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: