Fudzilla
April 20, 2014, 01:10:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fudzilla Forum is open

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GeForce 9800GX2 / 8800Ultra Comparison - Is there REALLY Any Benefit?  (Read 20223 times)
Jon
Global Moderator

swallow your pride.

audiofreak39@gmail.com AuDioFreaK39
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 02:51:02 AM »

Apparently the 8800GT sli murders the 9800GX2.

I'm assuming those are the benchmarks you are referring to.  If you were wise, you would know that those posted benchmarks were synthetic.  Have a look:

http://www.computerbase.de/news/hardware/grafikkarten/nvidia/2008/februar/benchmarks_bilder_geforce_9800_gx2/
Here is the update of original article(translated):

Update 15:08 pm: How sadly out relatively quickly noted, is that the test results to old values, which were only simulated. This means that the performance of the GeForce 9800 GX2 only clocked in accordance with two GeForce 8800 GTs in SLI composite recreated. The significance of these values is very theoretical. Technically, this simulation of a 9800 GX2 is conclusive, but not the same as a native 9800 GX2. The driver support is necessary, and data transfer over only a 16x PCIe interface are a bit different than a mature SLI system of two GeForce 8800 GTS.

Also, here are a few common question I've answered on the [H]ardForum:

referring thread:  http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1282655
Quote from: TalonMan
I still want a GX2!
BTW- I think it's price is going to be closer to $600.00, than $700.00.
By the time I am actually able to get my hands on an over-clocked GX2, having a GX2 will be nothing special...
Some of you guys make me feel like the first dude to ever spend $600.00 bucks on a GPU. I don't get it?

I'll take your side on this one. Does anyone not remember the launch of the 8800Ultra back in May, and how everyone was so greatly enthusiastic about the $650+ card? Sure, there were naysayers who dismissed it and said "eh not worth the extra performance for that price," but the majority thought otherwise - they wanted it. And if I remember correctly, the same was the case for the 6800Ultra back in 2004. You guys can't really blame Talon (and I) for wanting the latest and greatest if we are just making another parallel with previous launches in history by stating our desires for a $600+ graphics card.

Quote from: Atech
Your examples are ALL single GPU...and why it fails.
If any lesson are to be learned from the past, look at the 7950GX2...ask any 7950GX2 owner here on the board.

Quote from: TalonMan
When the 7950GX2 was released, did it run all the latest games like the GX2 does?

Was it a speed issue, or mainly a support/driver issue?

When exactly did the 7950GX2 show itself to be a bad card....

School me!

FYI - I do think the GX2 should be considered a single GPU. If you try installing it in two PC's at once, you will be disappointed for sure!

The 7950GX2 could run all the latest games at optimal settings, but it's hindering factor to the enthusiast market was the terrible driver support on Nvidia's part. Rest assured though, I have hope that Nvidia will make this card a short-lived success (because in my opinion it's a "fill-in" high-end card between the 8800Ultra and GT200 due to the company's "innovation delays"). If you've noticed closely, Nvidia has been recently spewing out drivers like no other time in their history - and we have already seen a total of three beta drivers specifically for the GX2 in just a week and a half before its launch. Such was not the case during the 7950GX2 lifespan. Based on this assertion, I have reason to believe that Nvidia has learned from their unsuccessful ploys in the past and will attempt to alter their history with the continuation of the GX2 series.

And to the naysayers who argue that "the beta drivers out now are yielding terrible results that present this card to be yet another unquestionable failure," you should rethink your reasoning in this claim because, well... you are basing your arguments on synthetic benchmarks and pre-release beta drivers. Nuff said.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 03:18:25 AM by AuDioFreaK39 » Logged

Core i7 Extreme 965 {} EVGA X58 SLI Classified Limited Edition{} 6GB Mushkin XP Series DDR3 1600MHz 7-8-7-20 {} EVGA GeForce GTX 295 Plus [Quad-SLI] {} Thermalright TRUE Copper
aznstriker92

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 01:08:08 AM »

Actually I don't think I was refering to those benchies.
well we'll see tomarrow right?

Running a X600 128mb, In need of a new graphics card badly......
Fonti

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 06:16:01 PM »

Ok, I do not know,if i should make my first post a stupid question, but I ll just do it. Cheesy
Will it work on a X 38 chipset as well? or is it stuck to SLI chipsets only?
I am truly impressed by its performance numbers, but will both cores be enabled on non-SLI boards? Or will it run on 1 core only? Or absolutely not?
Eliot
Fudzilla Crew

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 07:28:03 AM »

Ok, I do not know,if i should make my first post a stupid question, but I ll just do it. Cheesy
Will it work on a X 38 chipset as well? or is it stuck to SLI chipsets only?
I am truly impressed by its performance numbers, but will both cores be enabled on non-SLI boards? Or will it run on 1 core only? Or absolutely not?

The bridge chip is on the card, so it will work on any motherboard regardless the chipset, as long PCIe x16 1.0a or higher is available.

best,

Eliot.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: