Fudzilla
April 16, 2014, 06:13:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fudzilla Forum is open

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phenom 9500 on AM2 rather than AM2+, any noticeable decrease in performance?  (Read 3942 times)
phenomenal

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2008, 02:45:39 PM »

Hi,
I'm limited to buying a AM2 motherboard rather than AM2+ for the Phenom 9500.
The motherboard I'm thinking to buy is the Asus M2A-VM. It is listed in AMD site as being
compatible for the Phenom 9500.

I know the difference between AM2 and AM2+ is in two things:

* HyperTransport 3.0 operating at up to 2.6 GHz
* Split power planes: one for the CPU cores, and the other for the Integrated Memory controller (IMC). This will improve power savings, especially with integrated graphics, if the CPU cores are in sleep mode but the IMC is still active.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AM2%2B

The question now is, is there a noticeable decrease in performance when using Phenom CPUs on AM2 motherboards?

Is there any sites that did benchmarks on this?
manwe

siavash.sameni
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 03:12:11 PM »

it's my personal opinion , so there's no offense
as far as I've studied about this case there should be as much as 5-10% performance gain from AM2+ compared to AM2 (including DDR2-1066 in to account).
but the point is that , in Phenom Processors the memory controller supposed to run at higher frequencies than the processor but it's not happening right now , I mean at least in first generation phenoms (B2 Stepping I mean) , and the memory controller is running in a lower frequency than the processor so theoretically there should be less than 5% performance gain from AM2+ but you should also add this to the fact that the mobos based on amd 7th generation chipsets are faster than those from the 6th generation , I've seen a comparison between two of them , the most significant improvements were in games .
so if you don't have any other choices , don't bother Smiley
plus you should pay about 100$ more for the 790Fx or about 50 dollars more for the 790X compared to mighty 690G (which you can find it as low as 50 USD) so the performance gain doesn't worth the price , you can get 9600 instead of 9500 with that kind of money .
btw i thought that I've seen some sort of benchmark which have been compared 690 against 790 with Phenom processor , I'll just search for it and I'll let you know if i found it  Wink
manwe

siavash.sameni
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 03:33:44 PM »

here's the link that i was talking about
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/657/3/
aznstriker92

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »

I think you will be ok with a AM2. If there is a difference, it shouldn't show.

Running a X600 128mb, In need of a new graphics card badly......
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: