Fudzilla
April 19, 2014, 04:21:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fudzilla Forum is open

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New upgrade  (Read 4033 times)
Silverdestroyer

View Profile Email
« on: July 31, 2007, 03:15:38 PM »

Guys can you help me out? I'm looking to up grade my computer motherboard, processor, and ram, but I want to have ddr3 ram. Is socket AM2+ able to support ddr3 ram or is that only AM3. and what is the big difference between the two.

wiak

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 02:26:21 PM »

you have to have a AM3 motherboard and a AM3 cpu to support DDR3, as you need ddr3 controleller inside cpu and new ddr3 slots on motherboard
i dont think anyone needs DDR3 just yet, you can get 4GB for HALF the price of 2GB DDR3 and its even faster, some mey brake the barrier with Phenom's on-die controller to!

so far i know its this
AM2 CPU can be used in AM2 and AM2+ motherboards
AM2+ CPU can be used in AM2 and AM2+ motherboards
AM3 CPU can be used in AM2, AM2+ and AM3 motherboards

if your upgrading now, i recommend a RD790/RD780/RX780 AM2+ based motherboard with a AMD Phenom X4 AM2+ (can be used in AM2 motherboards!)
and a Radeon HD 3850 as it has UVD, good preformace, DX 10.1, should be out on 20th of november

have a nice day
manwe

siavash.sameni
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 03:22:38 PM »

Grin
personal opinion , no offense .
first of all wiak is right , you can't use DDR-3 with AMD's current offerings and if you want to use DDR-3 and buy AMD processor you should wait till 09 and buy AMD 8 series of motherboards which are AM3 compatible.
plus i think that buying DDR3 right now isn't resonable , cause you can buy DDR2 quality memory at nearly no price , they're so cheap that we should say memory makers are giving them away for free Smiley , on the other hand you'll have to pay about five times of the price of the DDR2 for quality DDR3 memory , which you'll gain about 5% or less performance improvement , you also have to buy a pricey DDR3 motherboard as well which will cost you about 1.5 times of a mature DDR2 motherboard , plus DDR3 isn't mature enough you'll end up gaining nearly no performance because of high latencies of DDR3 memory .
i suggest you to take a look at Aanandtech's http://www.anandtech.com comparison between DDR2 and DDR3 before considering any purchases.

by the way don't wait for DDR3 on AMD.  Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: