Fudzilla
April 21, 2014, 10:14:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fudzilla Forum is open

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (U)EFI - Extensible Firmware Interface  (Read 7489 times)
frankyd

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2008, 08:05:25 AM »

if you read about EFI, it's always the talk about intel and apple, but what about amd ? do they plan to implement the "next generation" of BIOS ? and if so, when will it happen ?
i believe i won't get an answer like " hi thank you for asking, the date will be ... " but maybe you will ?!

elmer92413

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 02:13:43 AM »

I believe it's more of a "When will Microsoft support it?" question. Doesn't matter for the CPUs which you have. You just have to have support from the OS and obviously the motherboard.
Jk

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 05:42:00 PM »

MSI have already developed some EFI boards, and they are trialling them at the moment. They play nice with Vista but not XP...

Eliot
Fudzilla Crew

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 06:18:38 PM »

if you read about EFI, it's always the talk about intel and apple, but what about amd ? do they plan to implement the "next generation" of BIOS ? and if so, when will it happen ?
i believe i won't get an answer like " hi thank you for asking, the date will be ... " but maybe you will ?!

at some point they will, but it's a question of cost too.
While a standard BIOS can fit inside 8Mbit, you need at least 32Mbit for EFI... It does not do anything better except some icons, which AMI already invented in the dark ages of 486. The only advantage I see is to implement a small linux where you can play videos, listen to music, browse the interweb without the need to boot up windows... They could also turn the PC into a game-console which would be fun  Cheesy

best,

Eliot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: