Fudzilla
April 21, 2014, 03:30:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fudzilla Forum is open

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 45nm - So much better than 65nm?  (Read 9030 times)
LordHeruur

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2007, 10:11:13 AM »

A question that bothers me since the announcement of Intel, that they won't release their 45nm desktop CPUs before January 08 is: Is it really worth it to wait that long?
When I saw the announcement, I decided to get the Q9450 (2,66 GHz, 316 Dollar) which has a TDP of 95W. Until that day, I had planned to get the Q6600 with 105W (I don't know if that's the TDP too). But I've also seen a Q6600 with 95W. (I guess 105W would bring more power in this case?)
So, I've to say that my current PC is three years old and that I didn't bother with news in the hardware-world since then. That's why it would be very kind if you could give me some advice.
Nele

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 09:56:33 PM »

Depends on what you're gonna use your machine for. The Q is overkill if you're not gonna run some serious applications, i.e. video editing and processing or 3D rendering.

If it's gaming and regular office/net use, go for a 45nm ready board and get a dual core CPU - a very cheap and upgradeable machine...
aznstriker92

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 07:58:44 PM »

Well nobody can say that 45nm is a lot better than 65nm simply because there isn't really A LOT of performance difference. Yes 45nm has its advantages over 65nm, such as price, size, TDP, and clocks.
The e8400 is very good 45nm dual core. You can get over 4.0ghz on air.

Running a X600 128mb, In need of a new graphics card badly......
Jon
Global Moderator

swallow your pride.

audiofreak39@gmail.com AuDioFreaK39
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 11:43:56 PM »

The only major differences between the two architectures are lower heat dissipation, lower power consumption, and the implementation of High-K/Metal Gate transistors to further suppress leakage.

However, with these architectural improvements come expandable enhancements for future applications:  SSE4.1 instruction support, much larger L2 caches, and as usual, a faster FSB speeds.  But do keep in mind that this generation of Penryn processors will be the last CPUs by Intel to implement the aging FSB Smiley

Core i7 Extreme 965 {} EVGA X58 SLI Classified Limited Edition{} 6GB Mushkin XP Series DDR3 1600MHz 7-8-7-20 {} EVGA GeForce GTX 295 Plus [Quad-SLI] {} Thermalright TRUE Copper
aznstriker92

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 01:46:22 AM »

Yes the LGA775 is getting a bit old  Grin

Eliot
Fudzilla Crew

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 08:49:20 PM »

But do keep in mind that this generation of Penryn processors will be the last CPUs by Intel to implement the aging FSB Smiley

That's the sad thing, so we have to adapt the much more expensive DDR3 memory. Angry

best,

Eliiot
aznstriker92

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 10:52:46 PM »

But do keep in mind that this generation of Penryn processors will be the last CPUs by Intel to implement the aging FSB Smiley

That's the sad thing, so we have to adapt the much more expensive DDR3 memory. Angry

best,

Eliiot
Well it will get cheaper later.

Jon
Global Moderator

swallow your pride.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 11:01:34 PM »

best,

Eliiot

Oh it'll get cheaper, but it'll be one step closer to being obsolete.  Like HD-DVD  Cheesy

Core i7 Extreme 965 {} EVGA X58 SLI Classified Limited Edition{} 6GB Mushkin XP Series DDR3 1600MHz 7-8-7-20 {} EVGA GeForce GTX 295 Plus [Quad-SLI] {} Thermalright TRUE Copper
Eliot
Fudzilla Crew

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 01:03:04 AM »

It will never get that cheap DDR2 is now, besides one year more it will be DDR4 or something different...

best,

Eliot.
Jon
Global Moderator

swallow your pride.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 01:38:42 AM »

It will never get that cheap DDR2 is now, besides one year more it will be DDR4 or something different...

best,

Eliot.

Nah, DDR3 is just hitting mass scale production as of early this year.  Consider all the DDR3 modules released last year as merely a "preview" of what was yet to come.  DDR2 has been around since, what, the second half of 2003?  And it is just now reaching the peak of its profit.  We won't see another large scale RAM specification for quite some time to come.

Eliot
Fudzilla Crew

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 01:42:39 AM »

Nah, DDR3 is just hitting mass scale production as of early this year.  Consider all the DDR3 modules released last year as merely a "preview" of what was yet to come.  DDR2 has been around since, what, the second half of 2003?  And it is just now reaching the peak of its profit.  We won't see another large scale RAM specification for quite some time to come.

Who does need it anyways? In fact, nobody...

best,

Eliot.
aznstriker92

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 02:19:18 AM »

best,

Eliot.
Even if it came out, DDR4, nothing will support it for a while.

Eliot
Fudzilla Crew

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 02:51:12 AM »

I know, but if I'm AMD I would completly skip it  Wink

best,

Eliot.
Jon
Global Moderator

swallow your pride.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 02:59:20 AM »

I know, but if I'm AMD I would completly skip it  Wink

best,

Eliot.

Well, back in early 2006 many people thought that AMD's new Socket AM2 was going to completely skip DDR2 and move straight on to DDR3.  However as you can see, this wasn't the case.  They're tending to back out on a lot of new technologies recently..it's becoming one of their trends - both in the CPU and GPU markets.

Eliot
Fudzilla Crew

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 03:39:48 AM »

Well, back in early 2006 many people thought that AMD's new Socket AM2 was going to completely skip DDR2 and move straight on to DDR3.  However as you can see, this wasn't the case.  They're tending to back out on a lot of new technologies recently..it's becoming one of their trends - both in the CPU and GPU markets.

I wrote: IF I'm AMD I would...
So there is no connection to what happened before or what will happen ...  Wink

best,

Eliot.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: