Fudzilla
April 19, 2014, 02:06:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fudzilla Forum is open

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PCIe Backwards compatibility  (Read 3579 times)
Dirtbiker14519

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2007, 08:08:12 AM »

I just read the article about PCIE x16 slots that are revision 1.1 being backwards compatible with revision 2. How would one figure out what PCIE x16 slot revision he has?

I have a P5B Deluxe by the way Cool.
mortality

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 02:15:02 PM »

nice question. I'm guessing that if manual doesn't mention any revision number it must be 1.1 (old) and they will probably do more marketing of 2.0, maybe on the package. P5WDH Deluxe
Eliot
Fudzilla Crew

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 11:49:00 PM »

I just read the article about PCIE x16 slots that are revision 1.1 being backwards compatible with revision 2. How would one figure out what PCIE x16 slot revision he has?

You read the chipset manuals... if available.
For Intel chips any manual is available.
AMD and nVidia are not that nice. AMD is always late and nVidia has several products based on the same chip, but you can't be sure, because of the companion chips, for example 680i with PCIe 2.0 chip. In fact, it does not really matter if you have 1.0a, 1.1 or 2.0 ... some games do speed-up when levels are loading, but while running the effect is quite small. PCIe 2.0 is backwards compatible down to 1.0a.

So changing the board for PCIe 2.0 does not make sense... if you want to use a quad-core, it would be good, because the VRM on your board is quite weak and extremly cheap.

best,

Eliot
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: