Fudzilla
April 19, 2014, 04:37:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fudzilla Forum is open

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Typos, spelling and grammar  (Read 15729 times)
ghell

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 02:51:35 PM »

Well, it sounds like this thread has made some kind of impact and things should continue to get better in the future, and that's all I was really hoping for Smiley

The Firefox spell checker isn't too bad I find (on Windows at least, Linux uses its own spell checkers) but most people either have it disabled or have it set to the wrong dictionary. I had it turned on throughout this thread because if I made a bunch of spelling mistakes in a thread about spelling mistakes, that would be a bit of a problem Wink

I don't know about the RSS not receiving the edits. As I added in a small edit to my previous post, RSS doesn't actually contain the content, just a link to the main site. The aggregator (a word that Firefox's spell checker doesn't seem to have) either just links your browser to the main article page or fetches the article itself by going to that URI via HTTP, which is why if you use RSS in something like Thunderbird then most of your time is spent scrolling down past all the rubbish at the top of the page for every single article like a giant fudzilla logo and a banner ad - if you use a laptop you probably won't be able to see any of the article without scrolling down at all. Thunderbird doesn't even cache the web page, just the RSS so as long as the link doesn't change for an edit and the main page does receive the edit, Thunderbird should see it.

I'm looking forward to the new design and RSS. Maybe even setting the HTTP response Content-Type header to "application/xhtml+xml" for browsers that support it (see HTTP request Accept header) so that the XHTML can actually be used rather than just being read in with an old HTML parser? Smiley

Quote from: Nele
The thing is, people tend to focus on the quality of language used, rather than the quality of content. I'm aware of this - when people run out of valid arguments, they have nothing left and they start bashing your grammar, spelling, then they go on to nationality, religion, race... You get the picture.
I'm not just struggling to think of bad things to say and so picking on your spelling and grammar. The quality of the content is something that you will never really be able to change much (at least not without hiring completely new staff and paying them a lot more, which would just ruin Fudzilla). You may not have all the facts and you have to make certain assumptions or interpretations sometimes and they may end up being wrong. For example, the recent NVIDIA 6 partner mistake. Because that will never change and all of your competitors face the same problems, you have to look for other areas to improve in.

I've tried emailing in the past but when I use the form on the main site (linked to by clicking on an article author's name) I usually get ignored. Besides, I wanted some kind of way of discussing the suggestion with others and getting it out there, some kind of "forum" if you will, for suggestions.

fwoot:
I came to the conclusion that your post count was very important to you when I noticed that not a single post of yours (that I've read) has added anything to the thread it's been posted in, only to your post count. In fact, none of them have been more than 2 lines long.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 02:54:40 PM by ghell » Logged
fwoot

rex1234_5@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 03:05:18 PM »

yeah i guess that makes sense but i really dont about post counts, i just say what whats on my mind and leave the  tech explinations to the professionals

peace out
Nele

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 06:11:40 PM »

Well, it sounds like this thread has made some kind of impact and things should continue to get better in the future, and that's all I was really hoping for Smiley

As I said, we take all serious suggestions and comments into consideration. We know we're still far from perfect on a number of fronts, but we're constantly working on improving the quality of the content and the site itself.

The Firefox spell checker isn't too bad I find (on Windows at least, Linux uses its own spell checkers) but most people either have it disabled or have it set to the wrong dictionary. I had it turned on throughout this thread because if I made a bunch of spelling mistakes in a thread about spelling mistakes, that would be a bit of a problem Wink

It's not too bad, but it's dictionary is rather limited, and it has some other issues too...

I don't know about the RSS not receiving the edits. As I added in a small edit to my previous post, RSS doesn't actually contain the content, just a link to the main site. The aggregator (a word that Firefox's spell checker doesn't seem to have) either just links your browser to the main article page or fetches the article itself by going to that URI via HTTP, which is why if you use RSS in something like Thunderbird then most of your time is spent scrolling down past all the rubbish at the top of the page for every single article like a giant fudzilla logo and a banner ad - if you use a laptop you probably won't be able to see any of the article without scrolling down at all. Thunderbird doesn't even cache the web page, just the RSS so as long as the link doesn't change for an edit and the main page does receive the edit, Thunderbird should see it.

My point was that our RSS doesn't seem to refresh after a certain story is edited, even if the headline is changed. I'm not the best person to talk to when it comes to RSS, I don't use it.

I'm looking forward to the new design and RSS. Maybe even setting the HTTP response Content-Type header to "application/xhtml+xml" for browsers that support it (see HTTP request Accept header) so that the XHTML can actually be used rather than just being read in with an old HTML parser? Smiley

I can't go into detail at this moment, I'm not taking part in the redesign at this stage, It's being taken care of by the guys in Austria and Holland, so I don't want to promise anything we won't be able to deliver.

I'm not just struggling to think of bad things to say and so picking on your spelling and grammar. The quality of the content is something that you will never really be able to change much (at least not without hiring completely new staff and paying them a lot more, which would just ruin Fudzilla). You may not have all the facts and you have to make certain assumptions or interpretations sometimes and they may end up being wrong. For example, the recent NVIDIA 6 partner mistake. Because that will never change and all of your competitors face the same problems, you have to look for other areas to improve in.

I wasn't talking about your comments, but rather comments on other sites or discussion boards. Several sites have bashed citing the reasons I mentioned in my previous post, even publishing private correspondence and outright lying. We never respond to such attacks, we're not into that gutter crap... Anyway, these sites were more important and more popular than us, but now they're a lot smaller than us and not nearly as influential. Grin

As for not getting every story right, well, we've published 11k+ so far. We got very, very few of them wrong. Take into account that we're dealing with a fast moving industry, sometimes major changes happen overnight, sometimes we just get bad info which checks out with several sources, but is proven to be flawed days or weeks later. It happens to all news organizations, not just tech sites. Anyway, juries convict innocent people and give them the death penalty, doctors amputate the wrong limb from time to time, and we get a frequency or price slightly off once in a thousand stories. I can sleep at night, like a baby.  Grin

I've tried emailing in the past but when I use the form on the main site (linked to by clicking on an article author's name) I usually get ignored. Besides, I wanted some kind of way of discussing the suggestion with others and getting it out there, some kind of "forum" if you will, for suggestions.

Email info@fudzilla.com, or any of our authors directly. Better yet, contact me and I'll pass on your comment and fix any mistake you find, informing the author of it, so it wouldn't happen again. I'll send you my email, check your PM.
ghell

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 08:24:21 PM »

Quote from: ghell
The quality of the content is something that you will never really be able to change much (at least not without hiring completely new staff and paying them a lot more, which would just ruin Fudzilla). You may not have all the facts and you have to make certain assumptions or interpretations sometimes and they may end up being wrong. For example, the recent NVIDIA 6 partner mistake. Because that will never change and all of your competitors face the same problems, you have to look for other areas to improve in.

As for not getting every story right, well, we've published 11k+ so far. We got very, very few of them wrong. Take into account that we're dealing with a fast moving industry, sometimes major changes happen overnight, sometimes we just get bad info which checks out with several sources, but is proven to be flawed days or weeks later. It happens to all news organizations, not just tech sites. Anyway, juries convict innocent people and give them the death penalty, doctors amputate the wrong limb from time to time, and we get a frequency or price slightly off once in a thousand stories.
This was what I was trying to say Smiley

Quote from: ghell

Email info@fudzilla.com, or any of our authors directly. Better yet, contact me and I'll pass on your comment and fix any mistake you find, informing the author of it, so it wouldn't happen again. I'll send you my email, check your PM.

Thanks Smiley
rambaldi

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 02:59:14 PM »

A possible way to solve this, tieing it in with some of the other suggestions I have been seeing would be selecting a comment type. I believe there is going to be a comment on article type feature added, if we could tag those comments as spelling/grammar fixes then it should be easy to scroll through those quickly and make all relevant corrections.

Phenom II x4 965 (c3), MSI 790FX GD70, MSI HD5970, 2x2GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1333 CL7,  4x1TB Seagate 7200.12, Ikonic RaX10 Liquid, Silverstone ST1500
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: