Fudzilla
April 16, 2014, 06:12:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fudzilla Forum is open

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gaming/Multimedia Rig - best performance/value at the moment?  (Read 5384 times)
LeoN

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2007, 10:27:46 PM »

Hi everyone. As it's my first post/topic on this forum I would like to say how happy I am that I've found fudzilla due to a great PC related info/test center. That's why I would like to use the opportunity to ask You guys, who are dealing with all kinds of components - what is the best value/performance gaming/multimedia rig out there at the moment?

I'm buying a new PC in the beginning of the next month but I've already started my researches about what can I get and don't regret my purchase in next 3 to 9 months.

I want to spend around 800 GBP (without monitor) which is around 1600 USD or as You wish - 1200 EURO
Also I will try to buy as much as possible from ebay due to some good deals going on there.

My researches atm looks like that:

============================
Motherboard - Asus P5B Deluxe Wi-Fi
it's quite future-proof, has a lot of great stuff inside and at the back panel (including e-SATA port, WiFi if I will ever need it, 2xRJ45,  HD Audio 7.1). It has p965 which is as great overclocker (or even better than n680i), actually tests are showing that it has better or same performance scores while not overclocked and it's faaaaar cheaper. The only down side of it is a lack of SLI support and doesn't have 1333FSB support, although I'm not convinced in pairing any graph-s cards 'cause You always can get better value/performance from 1 more powerfull card than 2 cheaper in SLI, and ofcourse it obviously is an important issue about how much power your PC is consuming (and I don't want to end up with paying too much for my electricity bill) Smiley

======================
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
======================
I was struggling with this one, 'cause E6400 and E6600 are great overclockers too, but at the end - their prices went down a lot lately and I can get E6700 for less than 170-180 pounds at the moment, I don't want to overclock my components too much (summer is coming) :] and my friend told me that he would go for the best one he would have money for and so I think this will be a good choice. I was thinking about Q6600 (which is quite cheap for 4 cores) but first of all i think that it's not a time yet to go for such a CPU for home user purposes and it's taking twice more power than E6xxx series.

======================
Graphics - GeForce 8800 GTS 320 or 640 (just don't know which one yet)
======================
If it comes to graphics, well these are getting old quickly as we all know, but I want to have some power for the new games and I'm not looking forward to play in 1900 resolutions, it would be nice to have one that performs well in 1600 but still I will use 19 inch TFT or 20-22 widescreen so performance in very high resolutions is not essential for me. Also I want to keep my PC as quiet as possible. Any suggestions which provider should I choose? Gainward seems to be pricey but they are making a great equipment (tho I have no clue about noise levels there)
The other thing is that I don't know how ATI's R600 will affect the market and how good it will be and what sort of price will it get. That's why I'm waiting a bit longer with building my PC instead of doing it now.

=========
DDR2 - 2GB
=========
This is the point where I'm looking for the best advice from You guys - what should I aim for? If I'm not a professional overclocker but I want a good, stable and reliable memory which one should I choose? Asus motherboards are very sensitive in that case and I think I should get OCZ, Corsair or Kingston, 2GB should be enough, but how much should I spend? The lowest possible timings, I know that much, but is there actually any big difference in frequency? 6400 or 8500 ? pls help me with that. OCZ with water/passive cooling?

PSU - Antec Truepower Trio TP3-650
Efficient, quiet, stable, not too pricey and I think that it will have enough power for now and future (at least for me)

===================================
HDD - Samsung Spinpoint T166 HD501LJ 500GB
===================================
Fast, big, low noise levels, faster performance than raptor which was a big surprise.

The rest (including case) is a secondary target.. but I will try to get as quiet, cheap and as cool case as possible, jeantech phong 2 seems to have all of these, but maybe I will spend some more money and get one of Antec's P180

The last thing is a screen.. Tough one as well. And actually can anyone recommend anything? I'm still confused if I should get TFT 19 or should go for widescreen.. tbh I would like to have a good screen for movies and modern games in 1600 res but to be even more honest I play some older games and I'm playing CS 1.6 a lot. Call me a newbie, but i have no idea how the normal resolutions like 640 or 800 works on widescreen.. is it stretched or it shows the picture in normal "squarealike" ratio ? Because of that issue I'm still considering normal 19TFT rather than widescreen. Any suggestions?

Sorry for a very long post but at least I clarified myself as much as I could :]
Big Thx and hugs for any help, suggestions and opinions about the stuff above.
LeoN

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 12:10:32 AM »

well ... maybe site on it's own is great .. but forum is far behind and dead :/ such a waste Sad
eugene

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 10:45:20 AM »

bah sorry didn't see you post here. yup, still not many people around here, true. hope to change soon though...

the motherboard is good imho. i'd also consider taking a look at this one: http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=248&l4=0&model=1289&modelmenu=1 - i would've taken that one..

processor is at the moment the best one for the money. very very few places where you need quad cores and many games still load one core of the CPU.. so i think it's a wise choice for now.. better get a motherboard to support the quad core and change the processor somewhere near christmas

if you are comparing between gts and XT i'd say wait for the XT as it promises to be better than GTS. however i'd suggest getting a gtx..

frequency of ram is important as it is actually how fast it goes. all those 3 brands are pretty good my suggestion is getting the highest frequencies from which you can afford. i'd personally go for OCZ if possible simply cause they are cool and make shiny gaming equipment=) but they are also more expensive in the majority of cases. anyway it's up to you

no clue about the PSU. i bought thermaltake toughpower 700 watt and it should be enough even for dual GTX and possibly (not sure but hope) even enough for dual XT crossfire. it's very silent and i haven't had any trouble with him so far. costs about 150 euro ere

the samsung hdd.. well i can't say anything BAD about it, but i'm not sure i can say anything good either.. I'm using seagate 320gb sata2 with 16mb cache and it is a dream. i've been using seagate for 7 years now and it never let me down.. ever. + it uses that new technology in their hard drives, don't remember it's name, which makes it work faster.. anyway about the samsung the only thing i've heard is that they are indeed silent. but in my experience samsung makes good value for money products and they are pretty stable and reliable.. however i'd suggest you reading some reviews about samsung hdds... as for me i'm always staying with seagate=)

about the screens i have a topic in OTHERS here in hardware section - you might want to take a look.

hope this helped. if you have more questions - shoot
Staticnuts

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 10:13:48 AM »

I gotta say that I love my Intel QX6700. It's one fast biotch!
Kakkoii

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 12:18:59 AM »

Congratulations on bringing up a 9 month old thread XD.

Live and let be, Don't hope and let wonder.
Jon
Global Moderator

swallow your pride.

audiofreak39@gmail.com AuDioFreaK39
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 12:22:55 AM »

Congratulations on bringing up a 9 month old thread XD.

haha kind of hard not to since it's been in solitary for so long?  Cheesy

Core i7 Extreme 965 {} EVGA X58 SLI Classified Limited Edition{} 6GB Mushkin XP Series DDR3 1600MHz 7-8-7-20 {} EVGA GeForce GTX 295 Plus [Quad-SLI] {} Thermalright TRUE Copper
mushroomeater

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 01:33:29 AM »

this is a very nice post. i think this is the ideal specs for building a very powerful computer. thanks for sharing

Jon
Global Moderator

swallow your pride.

audiofreak39@gmail.com AuDioFreaK39
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 12:40:57 PM »

this is a very nice post. i think this is the ideal specs for building a very powerful computer. thanks for sharing

these specs are actually quite noobish now since the time of your post, December 2008.  The Core i7 / X58 platform is finally here - that's where the real deal is!

p.s. check my sig.  Wink

Core i7 Extreme 965 {} EVGA X58 SLI Classified Limited Edition{} 6GB Mushkin XP Series DDR3 1600MHz 7-8-7-20 {} EVGA GeForce GTX 295 Plus [Quad-SLI] {} Thermalright TRUE Copper
rambaldi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 01:59:06 PM »

these specs are actually quite noobish now since the time of your post, December 2008.  The Core i7 / X58 platform is finally here - that's where the real deal is!

p.s. check my sig.  Wink

But for performance/value? Everything in a Core i7 rig is going to be quite expensive till they release the dual channel processors.

Phenom II x4 965 (c3), MSI 790FX GD70, MSI HD5970, 2x2GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1333 CL7,  4x1TB Seagate 7200.12, Ikonic RaX10 Liquid, Silverstone ST1500
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: